Cubs rally late, edge Cards in Carpenter's season debutSep 22, 2012 - 3:12 AM
Darwin Barney sent the game into extra innings with a two-out, two-run homer off Fernando Salas in the bottom of the ninth, robbing Chris Carpenter of a win in his season debut.
Carpenter hadn't appeared on a big-league mound since winning Game 7 of the World Series against the Texas Rangers last October. The veteran right- hander wasn't expected to pitch this season after shoulder issues led to a surgical procedure in July.
Instead, Carpenter held the Cubs to a pair of runs over five innings in his return. He threw 77 pitches and left with a 3-2 lead.
"My stuff wasn't as sharp as I'd like and it wasn't as sharp as it has been but I did the best I could to get as many outs as I could and give us a chance," said Carpenter. "It was fun to get back out there."
Daniel Descalso tacked on an eighth-inning RBI double for the Cardinals while Shelby Miller, Sam Freeman, Trevor Rosenthal and Edward Mujica held Chicago off the board before giving way to Salas in the ninth.
After two quick outs, DeJesus kept the Cubs alive with a bloop single and Barney fell behind 1-2 before sending a fastball deep and gone to left field.
Alberto Cabrera (1-1) faced the minimum in the 11th and Wellington Castillo led off the home half with a single before pinch-runner Brett Jackson moved to third base on a sacrifice bunt and fly out.
DeJesus then ripped an 0-2 changeup from Joe Kelly (5-7) through the right side of the infield to halt Chicago's four-game slide.
"It's good for us to beat a team like them," said Barney. "The atmosphere was fun. It's good playing games that matter."
The Cardinals, meanwhile, saw their four-game win streak come to an end. They now hold a 1 1/2-game lead over Milwaukee for the NL's final wild card spot after the Brewers rallied for a 4-2 victory over the Washington Nationals on Friday.
Yadier Molina had a two-out, first-inning RBI single in the setback and Allen Craig added a sac fly in the third for a 2-0 lead.
DeJesus and Barney helped the Cubs even the score in the bottom half, with the former ripping a leadoff triple and the latter following with a run-scoring single.
Two batters later, Barney scored on Alfonso Soriano's 31st double of the season.
Pete Kozma put St. Louis back on top a half-inning later when he led off with a triple and stole home during Descalso's at-bat. The rookie shortstop broke on Chris Volstad's pitch as Descalso squared to bunt, and crossed the plate when the ball popped out of Castillo's mitt.
Volstad, who will turn 26 on Sunday, was charged with three runs on six hits over five innings in the no-decision. He walked three, did not record a strikeout, and grounded out Kozma with the bases loaded to end the fifth.
Carpenter tossed a 90-pitch simulated game last Saturday ... St. Louis leads the season-series, 8-7 ... Soriano has a season high-tying 104 RBI ... The Cardinals went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
Sep 21 6:24 PM
- Darwin Barney two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scoring David DeJesus. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 21 5:46 PM
- Daniel Descalso doubles to center scoring Matt Carpenter. Runner on second with one out and Trevor Rosenthal due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 21 5:11 PM
- Pete Kozma steals home. None on with none out and Daniel Descalso at the plate.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 21 3:35 PM
- Alfonso Soriano doubles to left scoring Darwin Barney. Runner on second with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 21 3:27 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to center scored David DeJesus. Runner on first with none out and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 21 3:24 PM
- Allen Craig sacrifice fly out to center scoring Carlos Beltran. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 21 3:15 PM
- Yadier Molina singles to center scoring Jon Jay. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 2:37 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 2:25 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21