Cardinals turn to Wainwright against CubsSep 22, 2012 - 12:37 PM
Wainwright, who is 0-3 over his last four starts and hasn't won since Aug. 26 at Cincinnati, returns to the mound to face the Chicago Cubs in the middle installment of a three-game series.
The right-hander has sparkled during his career at Wrigley Field, going 5-0 with a 3.60 ERA in 13 games (8 starts). He's 6-5 lifetime against the Cubs.
The Cardinals enter the day 1 1/2 games ahead of Milwaukee and two in front of the Los Angeles Dodgers for the second wild card spot.
St. Louis had a four-game winning streak broken Friday in a 5-4 final in 11 innings. David DeJesus had four hits, including the game-winning RBI single. Darwin Barney sent the game into extra innings with a two-out, two-run homer off Fernando Salas in the bottom of the ninth, robbing Chris Carpenter of a win in his season debut.
Carpenter hadn't appeared on a big-league mound since winning Game 7 of the World Series against the Texas Rangers last October. The veteran right-hander wasn't expected to pitch this season after shoulder issues led to a surgical procedure in July.
Instead, Carpenter held the Cubs to a pair of runs over five innings in his return. He threw 77 pitches and left with a 3-2 lead.
"My stuff wasn't as sharp as I'd like and it wasn't as sharp as it has been but I did the best I could to get as many outs as I could and give us a chance," said Carpenter. "It was fun to get back out there."
Darwin Barney homered and knocked in three runs for the Cubs, who broke a four-game losing streak.
"It's good for us to beat a team like them," said Barney. "The atmosphere was fun. It's good playing games that matter."
Travis Wood, who was on the wrong end of a 3-0 score on Monday against the Pirates, starts for the Cubs. He's 2-2 with a 5.64 ERA in five games versus St. Louis. Wood has started twice against the Cardinals this season, losing both times and pitching to an 11.45 ERA.
The Cardinals are 8-7 versus the Cubs this season despite losing five of seven in Chicago.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
Sep 22 4:48 PM
- Jon Jay double to right scored Matt Carpenter with two out. On the play, Bryan Anderson advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 5, Cubs 4 Top 10, 2 OutsSep 22 4:33 PM
- Matt Holliday walked. Runner on first with one out and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 4 Top 9, 1 OutSep 22 3:52 PM
- Dave Sappelt single to left scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Vitters due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 3:12 PM
- Welington Castillo sacrifice fly to right scored Anthony Rizzo with two out. Runners on first and second Dave Sappelt due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 3:12 PM
- Anthony Rizzo singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 22 2:53 PM
- Travis Wood scored on a wild pitch by Adam Wainwright with two out. None on and Anthony Rizzo at the plate.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 22 2:09 PM
- David Freese singled to short. Runner on first with two out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 22 1:56 PM
- Allen Craig grounded out second to first. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 1:53 PM
- Peter Kozma walked Allen Craig scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Adam Wainwright due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 22 1:34 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:06 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21