Lohse leads Cardinals into finale against CubsSep 23, 2012 - 1:34 PM
Lohse can establish a career-high for victories this afternoon. The right- hander won 15 games in 2008 with the Cardinals. On Tuesday, he threw seven shutout innings in a win against Houston.
Lohse has a career record of 3-4 with a 5.22 ERA in 15 career starts versus the Cubs.
On the brink of another disheartening loss to the Cubs, the playoff-hopeful Cardinals flipped the script on Saturday. Carlos Beltran hit a game-tying solo homer in the ninth inning and Jon Jay delivered a two-out, RBI double in the 10th to give the Cardinals a 5-4 win.
In Friday's series opener, the Cubs earned a 5-4 extra-inning victory courtesy of Darwin Barney's two-run homer in the ninth and David DeJesus' RBI single in the 11th.
Saturday's win moved the Cardinals 2 1/2 games ahead of the hard-charging Milwaukee Brewers, who saw their six-game win streak come to an end with a 10-4 loss to the Washington Nationals earlier on Saturday.
As they did in the series opener, the Cardinals led early on Saturday, but the Cubs pieced together a three-run sixth inning, which was highlighted by DeJesus' leadoff homer, to take a 4-3 lead.
But Beltran's one-out blast off Carlos Marmol in the ninth cleared the stands inside the right-field foul pole and Mitchell Boggs (4-1) stranded a pair in the bottom half to send the game into extras.
There, Matt Carpenter and pinch-hitter Bryan Anderson worked back-to-back two- out walks before Jay ripped a double down the right-field line off Jaye Chapman (0-1) to push across the go-ahead run.
Jason Motte struck out the side in the bottom of the 10th to record his 39th save of the season and lock up St. Louis' fifth win in six games.
"That was as good as they get," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny.
Justin Germano, who has lost six straight appearances, gets the start for the Cubs. Germano hasn't pitched more than five innings in any of his outings during the skid. He's 1-1 with a 3.77 ERA in four games (1 start) against the Cardinals.
The Cardinals are 9-7 versus the Cubs this season.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
Sep 23 5:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Carlos Beltran single to center scored Skip Schumaker with one out. On the play, Tony Cruz advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 5:07 PM
- Peter Kozma sacrifice fly out to right scored Adron Chambers with one out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to third. Runners on first and third and and Edward Mujica due up.
Cardinals 5, Cubs 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 5:03 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (31) to left center. Starlin Castro due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 23 4:23 PM
- Peter Kozma one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Kyle Lohse due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 23 4:14 PM
- Joe Mather struck out looking to end the inning.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 2 End 4Sep 23 3:46 PM
- Welington Castillo double to left scored Starlin Castro with one out. Runner on second and Dave Sappelt due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 23 3:41 PM
- Darwin Barney grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 0 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 23 3:27 PM
- Allen Craig double to left scored Jon Jay and Matt Holliday with two outs. Runner on second and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 23 3:19 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 2:25 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21