Rockies beat Cubs in rain-shortened series openerSep 26, 2012 - 6:37 AM
DJ LeMahieu finished a home run shy of the cycle, drove in a run and scored twice for the Rockies, who have won two straight games after dropping nine in a row.
"The job that our young kids are doing offensively is ... beyond impressive," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy.
Colorado's Jorge De La Rosa lasted three innings and gave up four runs -- two earned -- on five hits in his second start since returning from Tommy John surgery. Carlos Torres (5-3) allowed one run on two hits over two innings of relief to earn the win.
Dave Sappelt hit his first career home run for the Cubs, who have dropped seven of their last eight games.
Chris Rusin (1-3) made his sixth major league start and was charged with six runs on seven hits before departing with runners on second and third and two down in the fourth inning. Rafael Dolis then entered an surrendered Rutledge's two-run double, which gave the Rockies a 6-5 lead.
McBride's second career homer came an inning later, Chris Nelson added an RBI single in the sixth and the game was called prior to the bottom of the seventh after a 48-minute delay.
Sappelt began the game with his first career home run -- a towering shot down the left-field line -- and the Cubs added a pair of runs later in the frame when Alfonso Soriano scored on a throwing error by Rutledge and Welington Castillo ripped and RBI double for a 3-0 lead.
"We came out swinging the bats really well," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "Obviously we couldn't get them to make any soft contact, that's for sure."
Wilin Rosario got the Rockies on the board with a leadoff blast in the second, but Starlin Castro answered with a two-out solo blast a half-inning later.
LeMahieu began the third with a triple and Rutledge worked a one-out walk before Colvin tripled into the corner in right to make it 4-3.
In the fourth, Joe Mather greeted Torres with a double and later scored on Darwin Barney's two-out single, but the Rockies rallied for the lead in the home half.
Chris Nelson and Andrew Brown led off with back-to-back singles before LeMahieu ripped a one-out double to plate Nelson. Rusin then grounded out Torres to keep runners at second and third before giving way to Dolis, who surrendered Rutledge's decisive Tobago into the corner in left.
De La Rosa made his season debut on Sept. 20 in a loss to the San Francisco Giants ... For his career, De La Rosa is 4-0 in eight meetings -- four starts -- against the Cubs ... Chicago took two of three from the Rockies at home from Aug. 24-26.
- CHICAGO: 5
Sep 26 12:24 AM
- Chris Nelson single to center scored Tyler Colvin with two out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andrew Brown due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 25 11:19 PM
- Matt McBride two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Wilin Rosario and Chris Nelson. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 25 10:47 PM
- Josh Rutledge double to left scored Andrew Brown and DJ LeMahieu with two out. Runner on second and Tyler Colvin due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 25 10:21 PM
- Carlos Torres grounded out short to first. Runners on second and third with two outs and Josh Rutledge due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 25 10:16 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scored Joe Mather with two out. Runner on first and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 5, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 25 10:01 PM
- Jordan Pacheco grounded out short to first. Runner on third with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Cubs 4, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 25 9:46 PM
- Starlin Castro two-out, solo Home Run (14) to center. Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 4, Rockies 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 25 9:29 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Chris Nelson due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 25 9:16 PM
- Welington Castillo doubled to left scored Starlin Castro with two outs. Runner on second and Josh Vitters due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 25 8:59 PM
- Starlin Castro reached second on Josh Rutledge's throwing error. On the play, Alfonso Soriano scores with two outs. Runner on second and Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 25 8:58 PM
- Dave Sappelt lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 25 8:44 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21