Pomeranz, Rockies drop CubsSep 27, 2012 - 6:42 AM
Pomeranz (2-9) struck out three while also walking three to earn his first victory since July 6, snapping a 14-start winless drought in the process.
"He threw strikes down in the zone. He threw strike one, and as a result of throwing strike one and sending that message, he got himself a couple of first-pitch outs," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said of Pomeranz.
Charlie Blackmon belted a solo home run and Chris Nelson added a two-run single for the Rockies, who have won three straight games after dropping nine in a row.
Jason Berken (0-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up all six runs on nine hits and two walks over four innings.
"Everything was belt high, not much of a breaking ball at all. He was in a fist fight right from the beginning," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Berken.
Dave Sappelt registered two of Chicago's five hits, as the Cubs lost their fourth straight game.
Colorado jumped on top in its first at-bat, as Blackmon worked a one-out walk and came around to score on Jordan Pacheco's double into left field.
Pacheco moved to third on a groundout and quickly scored when Tyler Colvin scorched a single into center field for a 2-0 lead.
Blackmon started the third with a leadoff blast into right field before Pacheco and Colvin singled around a Wilin Rosario walk to load the bases with no outs.
Nelson then laced a single into right-center field, scoring Pacheco and Rosario, while Colvin crossed home on Andrew Brown's double-play groundout.
Berken was making his third start for the Cubs since being acquired off waivers from the Baltimore Orioles in early September ... Pomeranz was winless in his previous 10 outings at home ... The game was delayed 84 minutes in the seventh inning due to rain.
- CHICAGO: 0
Sep 27 12:57 AM
- Andrew Brown grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored Tyler Colvin with two out. Chris Nelson is out at second. None on and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 26 9:57 PM
- Chris Nelson single to right scored Jordan Pacheco and Wilin Rosario with none out. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andrew Brown due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 26 9:54 PM
- Charlie Blackmon lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 26 9:45 PM
- Tyler Colvin single to center scored Jordan Pacheco with two out. Runner on first and Chris Nelson due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 26 8:56 PM
- Jordan Pacheco double to left scored Charlie Blackmon with one out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 26 8:53 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21