Astros beat Cubs again in battle of NL's worst clubsOct 3, 2012 - 4:40 AM
Norris (7-13) allowed only four hits and a pair of walks while striking out four, and Tyler Greene added an RBI single for the Astros, who surged to their fifth win in six games.
"The team won three in a row. That's the way we're looking at it. We're trying to end this thing strong and play it all the way through," Norris said about his team's late push.
Chris Volstad (3-12) gave up five hits and one earned run with six strikeouts for the Cubs, who were blanked by the same score for the second straight game and lost for the ninth time in their last 10.
"Not a lot of quality at-bats again. We left some guys out there striking out with guys in scoring position again," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It's kind of typifying the whole season these last two nights swinging the bats."
Houston picked up all the runs needed to back Norris in the second, all coming with two outs. Castro's shot to right was followed by a Starlin Castro error allowing Justin Maxwell to reach second. Greene drove him in with a single for a 2-0 score.
The Astros tacked on another run in the eighth, as pinch-hitter Brian Bogusevic drew a walk, moved to second on an error, advanced to third on a Jed Lowrie groundout and scored on a wild pitch.
After Norris' exit, four Houston relievers combined to hold the Cubs hitless over the final three innings. Wilton Lopez walked Luis Valbuena with two outs in the ninth, but induced a game-ending pop out from Welington Castillo to earn his 10th save.
Norris finished the 2012 season with 13 1/3 scoreless innings over his last two starts ... Chicago was shut out for the third time in its last seven games ... Houston has recorded three consecutive whitewashes, having earned a 7-0 victory at Milwaukee on Sunday.
- HOUSTON: 3
Oct 2 10:50 PM
- Brian Bogusevic scored on a wild pitch with one out. None on and Brandon Barnes at the plate.
Astros 3, Cubs 0 Top 8, 1 OutOct 2 10:09 PM
- Tyler Greene single to right scored Justin Maxwell with two out. Runner on first and Bud Norris due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsOct 2 8:24 PM
- Jason Castro two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Justin Maxwell due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsOct 2 8:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 2 8:05 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21