Rangers shut out White Sox to take seriesApr 9, 2012 - 4:32 AM Texas Rangers used the long ball and solid pitching to secure a series victory Sunday night in Arlington.
Adrian Beltre clubbed a two-run homer and Josh Hamilton and David Murphy added leadoff shots, powering the Rangers to a 5-0 win over the Chicago White Sox in the finale of their three-game season-opening set.
Matt Harrison (1-0) limited Chicago to four hits, walked two and struck out three in six innings of work. The left-hander is coming off a breakout 2011 season in which he won 14 games and compiled a 3.39 ERA.
"Harrison pitched great. It's one of those nights where you just tip your hat to him," white Sox manager Robin Ventura said.
Mark Lowe, Robbie Ross and Koji Uehara allowed just two hits in relief.
Gavin Floyd (0-1) surrendered five runs -- four earned -- on five hits in 5 2/3 innings for the White Sox.
Murphy opened the scoring in the third with a home run to right field.
Gordon Beckham doubled to lead off the Chicago fourth, but was erased in a rundown between third and home.
In the bottom of the inning, Beltre followed Hamilton's leadoff single with a drive over the wall in right-center.
The White Sox stranded a runner on third in the fifth, and Harrison fanned A.J. Pierzynski with two men aboard to end the sixth.
A 441-foot blast by Hamilton gave Texas a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the sixth.
"You keep waiting for him to hit one out of the stadium," Harrison said of Hamilton.
Beltre followed the blast with a single, moved to third on a fielding error and scored when Nelson Cruz grounded into a double play.
Floyd was 1-1 with a 0.64 ERA in two starts against the Rangers in 2011...Ross made his major league debut as did Chicago reliever Nate Jones...The White Sox were 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- CHICAGO: 0
Apr 8 10:57 PM
- Nelson Cruz grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Adrian Beltre. Michael Young out at second. None on with two outs and David Murphy due up.
White Sox 0, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 8 9:58 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Adrian Beltre due up.
White Sox 0, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 8 9:53 PM
- Adrian Beltre none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Josh Hamilton. Michael Young due up.
White Sox 0, Rangers 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 8 9:14 PM
- David Murphy lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
White Sox 0, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 8 8:46 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22