A's edge White Sox in 14 inningsApr 26, 2012 - 12:39 AM
Ahead, 4-2, going into the bottom of the frame, White Sox closer Hector Santiago (0-1) got off to a good start by striking out Eric Sogard, but then gave up five consecutive hits.
Josh Reddick started the hit parade with a single up the middle and Yoenis Cespedes followed with a moonshot home run to left field to tie the game 4-4. Seth Smith and Kurt Suzuki then stroked back-to-back singles and Ka'aihue ended the game in walkoff fashion with a flare to left field that fell in fair territory to give Oakland the win.
Jim Miller (1-0) recorded the final out in the top of the 14th to pick up the win for the A's, who have won three of their last four games.
Cespedes went 3-for-5 with three RBI and Suzuki added three hits in the victory.
Chicago's Paul Konerko tied the game in the ninth inning with a momentous solo home run -- the 400th of his 16-year career.
Alex Rios finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and a run scored and Alexei Ramirez added a two-run double for the White Sox, who have dropped two straight since a four-game winning streak.
Trailing, 2-1, the White Sox tied the game at two in the ninth when Konerko took the first pitch he saw from Grant Balfour -- a high fastball -- deep over the left field wall.
Chicago had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the 11th after A. J. Pierzynski nubbed a ball out in front of the plate. A's pitcher Jordan Norberto threw the ball away, allowing Pierzynski to get all the way to third with two outs. Norberto intentionally walked Rios then fanned pinch-hitter Dayan Viciedo to end the inning.
The White Sox squandered multiple opportunities to take the lead in the 13th. Adam Dunn led off the frame by ripping a double down the right field line, and Konerko was then intentionally walked. Dunn was replaced at second by pinch- runner Brett Lillibridge and Konerko was replaced by Gordon Beckham.
Lillibridge was picked off at second by a perfect throw from Suzuki for the first out, and after Pierzynski popped out, Rios ripped a double down the left field line, but Beckham was thrown out at the plate to keep the game tied.
Chicago took the lead in the top of the 14th after Viciedo reached on a throwing error by Sogard and Alejandro De Aza walked to put two runners on base. Ramirez then brought them both home with a double into the left-center field gap.
Earlier, Oakland finally broke the scoreless tie in the sixth. After Daric Barton fouled out to start the frame, Jemile Weeks slapped a single to left and scored from first on a double to deep center by Reddick to put the A's up 1-0. Oakland added a second run in the inning on a single up the middle by Cespedes which scored Reddick for a 2-0 edge.
Chicago quickly got one back in the seventh after Rios ripped a single and came around to score on a double into right-center by Kosuke Fukudome, who then advanced to third on the throw. A's manager Bob Melvin then brought in Ryan Cook from the bullpen. With Brent Morel at the plate, Fukudome was tagged out trying to steal home, and Morel struck out to end the inning.
Konerko became the third player to hit their 400th career homer in a White Sox uniform, joining Frank Thomas and Andruw Jones. He also became the 48th player to join the 400-home run club...A's starter Jarrod Parker, who was called up from Triple-A Sacramento on Wednesday along with Miller, tossed 6 1/3 strong innings, giving up just one run on seven hits and a walk while fanning five...Chicago starter Chris Sale gave up two runs on six hits and no walks while striking out five over eight innings.
- CHICAGO: 4
Apr 25 7:36 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue single to left scored Seth Smith with one out to end the game.
White Sox 4, Athletics 5 Bot 14, 1 OutApr 25 7:35 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Josh Reddick. Seth Smith due up.
White Sox 4, Athletics 4 Bot 14, 1 OutApr 25 7:30 PM
- Alexei Ramirez double to left center scored Dayan Viciedo and Alejandro De Aza with two out. Runner on second and Brent Lillibridge due up.
White Sox 4, Athletics 2 Top 14, 2 OutsApr 25 7:21 PM
- Paul Konerko lead-off Home Run (4) to left. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 2, Athletics 2 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 25 5:47 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome double to center scored Alex Rios with one out. On the play, Kosuke Fukudome advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third with Brent Morel due up.
White Sox 1, Athletics 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 25 5:16 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes singled to center scored Josh Reddick with two out. Runner on first and Jonny Gomes due up.
White Sox 0, Athletics 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 25 5:08 PM
- Josh Reddick double to right center scored Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
White Sox 0, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 25 5:06 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 3:38 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22