Dunn, White Sox thrash TwinsJun 27, 2012 - 9:48 PM
Kevin Youkilis went 3-for-4 and collected his first two RBI in a White Sox uniform, while Alex Rios crushed a solo homer and added an RBI base hit for Chicago, which has won four of their last five contests. Alejandro De Aza contributed three hits, including an RBI single in the victory.
"The last couple of weeks, I haven't felt real good at the plate," Dunn said. "Yesterday I started feeling a little better and today I felt good, so hopefully it continues."
Chris Sale (9-2) allowed two runs on six hits and a walk to go with five strikeouts over seven innings to earn the win. Will Ohman tossed the final two frames to close it out for the White Sox.
Darin Mastroianni ripped a two-run homer and Brian Dozier added a solo blast for the Twins, who dropped the final two games of this series.
Nick Blackburn (4-5) suffered the loss after giving up six runs on nine hits with three strikeouts and no walks in five full frames.
The White Sox grabbed the early lead in the second inning and never let it go thanks to a defensive miscue by the Twins. Rios led off the frame with a double off the left field wall and advanced to third on a fly out to right. With the Twins' infield drawn in, Alexei Ramirez smacked a grounder right to Dozier at shortstop, but the ball skipped through his legs, allowing Rios to score.
Eduardo Escobar started the ChiSox third with a base hit up the middle and scored when Youkilis ripped one off the wall in right field for a double, extending the lead to 2-0.
The White Sox broke the game open with four runs in the fifth to widen the lead to 6-0. De Aza laced a one-out single and Youkilis followed with a base hit two batters later before Dunn reached for a pitch out of the zone and sent it the other way off the facing of second deck for a three-run homer, his 24th of the season. Rios followed with a solo shot over the wall in left.
Dozier got the Twins on the board in the home half with a solo shot to left, but the White Sox kept hitting and added three more runs in the sixth to push the lead to 9-1. De Aza, Youkilis and Dunn all had RBI base hits in the frame.
Ben Revere pulled the Twins to within 9-2 with a sacrifice fly in the home sixth, but Jordan Danks got the run right back for Chicago in the seventh with an RBI single.
The Sox extended the lead to 12-2 in the eighth courtesy of an RBI base hit from Rios and a sacrifice fly by A.J. Pierzysnki before Mastroianni got both runs back in the home portion with a two-run blast into the left field seats.
"I won't forget that one," Mastroianni said of his first career home run. "It was a pretty cool feeling. It just kind of came off the bat. I was shocked to see it come off the bat that hard. I didn't know it was gone until I rounded first base."
The White Sox have won eight of their last 10 games at Target Field...The White Sox won their third consecutive series in Minnesota for the first time since the 2005 campaign...Chicago improved to 11-13 in June...It was Danks' first career RBI...The Twins fell to 14-24 at home this season and 6-6 in games played on Wednesday...Chicago finished 7-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base.
- CHICAGO: 12
Jun 27 4:00 PM
- Brian Dozier grounded into a fielder's choice to third scoring Chris Parmelee with two out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second and Trevor Plouffe tagged out at third. Runners on first and second and Jamey Carroll due up.
White Sox 12, Twins 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 27 3:58 PM
- Ben Revere lined out to short. None on with two outs and Joe Mauer due up.
White Sox 12, Twins 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 27 3:36 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly out to right scored Tyler Flowers with two out. Runners on first and second and and Alexei Ramirez due up.
White Sox 12, Twins 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 3:23 PM
- Alex Rios single to center scored Eduardo Escobar with one out. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to second and Tyler Flowers advances to third. Bases loaded and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 11, Twins 2 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 3:21 PM
- Orlando Hudson grounded into a double play, second to short to first to end the inning. On the play, Jordan Danks out at second.
White Sox 10, Twins 2 Mid 7Jun 27 3:05 PM
- Ben Revere sacrifice fly out to left scored Denard Span with one out. None on and Joe Mauer due up.
White Sox 9, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 27 2:46 PM
- Adam Dunn single to left scored Eduardo Escobar with two out. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 9, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 27 2:41 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left center scored Orlando Hudson with two out. On the play, Eduardo Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 8, Twins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 27 2:39 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to right scored Alexei Ramirez with one out. On the play, Orlando Hudson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
White Sox 7, Twins 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 27 2:35 PM
- Brian Dozier two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jamey Carroll due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 2:26 PM
- Alex Rios two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left center. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 6, Twins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 2:19 PM
- Adam Dunn two-out, three-run Home Run (24) to left scored Alejandro De Aza and Kevin Youkilis. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 2:18 PM
- Kevin Youkilis double to right center scored Eduardo Escobar with one out. On the play, Youkilis thrown out at third. None on and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 27 1:47 PM
- Alexei Ramirez reached first on Brian Dozier's fielding error scoring Alex Rios with one out. Runner on first and Jordan Danks due up.
White Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 27 1:31 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 1:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22