ChiSox rout Yankees; Jeter passes RipkenJun 30, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Derek Jeter reached another milestone to highlight New York's four-run first inning, but the lead was short-lived and the AL Central leaders won their fourth in a row.
Jeter started the bottom of the first inning with a double into the left field corner for his 3,185th career hit. That put him one ahead of Cal Ripken Jr. into 13th place on the all-time list. Next up on the list for Jeter is Nap Lajoie at 3,252 hits.
Pierzynski, who played his 1,000th game in a White Sox uniform, led off the second with a homer to start a four-run frame. Chicago, which had 19 hits, went ahead on Pierzynski's lead-off blast in the fifth.
Paul Konerko homered in the third and Alexei Ramirez, who went 4-for-5, added a two-run shot in the seventh.
With Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia on the disabled list, the Yanks had intended on throwing veteran Freddy Garcia Friday. However, he threw out of the bullpen on Wednesday, opening the door for Warren. The 24-year-old right- hander allowed eight hits and six runs over 2 1/3 innings.
David Phelps (1-3) gave up two runs over the next 3 1/3 innings, but Cory Wade struggled by surrendering seven hits and six runs over 2 1/3 frames.
"He's just not locating well and he relies on location," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Wade. "He's been up in the zone at times and that's not who he is. It's been a struggle for him about the last month."
Rookie Jose Quintana (2-1) yielded eight hits and six runs while fanning five to remain unbeaten in his last four appearances.
Curtis Granderson smacked a two-run homer in the first for the AL East leaders, who have lost two in a row since a five-game victory string.
Pierzynski started the fifth by hammering a 3-1 pitch over the wall in right for a 7-6 lead.
Ramirez went deep off Wade with Dayan Viciedo aboard in the seventh.
After the Yankees got within 10-7 in the bottom of the frame, Chicago tacked on four in the ninth off Wade, highlighted by Alejandro De Aza's two-run double.
With New York's bullpen taxed, Girardi went to outfielder Dewayne Wise to finish the top of the ninth on the mound. He needed six pitches to retire both his batters faced in his pitching debut.
"I like Dewayne Wise a lot better when he's making catches to preserve perfect games instead of facing him," joked Konerko, who was a teammate of Wise from 2008-09 with the White Sox. "I tip my hat to him, he got me out."
Quintana came into Friday riding a 16-inning scoreless streak, the longest for a White Sox rookie pitcher since Brandon McCarthy in 2005. That ended quickly though.
Immediately after Jeter's double, Granderson homered for the 22nd time this season, a shot to right-center. Andruw Jones doubled in Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher later in the frame.
The 4-0 lead was erased right away. Pierzynski went deep, Gordon Beckham hammered a two-run double and scored on a groundout from Kevin Youkilis.
Konerko started the third with a homer to left, and later in the frame Pierzynski's infield hit up the middle scored Alex Rios.
Jayson Nix's two-run double in the fourth tied the game, 6-6.
Chicago placed pitcher Brian Bruney on the 15-day disabled list (left hip inflammation) and purchased the contract of pitcher Brian Omogrosso from Triple-A Charlotte...Warren became the first Yankees pitcher to make his major league debut as a starter since Ian Kennedy on Sept. 1, 2007 vs. Tampa Bay. Warren became the eighth different Yankee to start a game this season, one shy of their total from all of last year...Youkilis left in the middle of the fifth inning an upset stomach...The last time the Yankees had a position player pitch in a home game was Gene Michael on Aug. 26, 1968 in Game 2 of a doubleheader vs. the Angels...Pierzynski collected his fifth career multi- homer game.
- CHICAGO: 14
NEW YORK: 7
Jun 29 10:34 PM
- Adam Dunn singled to right scoring Alejandro De Aza with one out. Runner on first and Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 14, Yankees 7 Top 9, 1 OutJun 29 10:21 PM
- Alejandro De Aza doubled to center scoring Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham with none out. Runner on second and Eduardo Escobar due up.
White Sox 13, Yankees 7 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 29 10:19 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scoring MarkTeixeira with two out. Alex Rodriguez out at second. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
White Sox 10, Yankees 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 29 9:48 PM
- Alexei Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Dayan Viciedo. Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 10, Yankees 6 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 29 9:32 PM
- Alex Rios singled to center scoring Adam Dunn with two out. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second. Runners on first and second and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 8, Yankees 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:13 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski lead off Home Run 2 (14) to right. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 7, Yankees 6 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 29 8:46 PM
- Jayson Nix doubled to left scoring Nick Swisher and Andruw Jones with none out. Runner on second and Chris Stewart due up.
White Sox 6, Yankees 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 29 8:32 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski reached first on an infield single to short scoring Alex Rios with none out. Runner on first and Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 6, Yankees 4 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 29 7:59 PM
- Paul Konerko lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 5, Yankees 4 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 29 7:55 PM
- Kevin Youkilis grounded out third to first scoring Gordon Beckham with two out. None on and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 4, Yankees 4 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 29 7:45 PM
- Gordon Beckham doubled to left scoring Dayan Viciedo and Alexei Ramirez with none out. Runner on second and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 3, Yankees 4 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 29 7:40 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski lead-off Home Run (13) to right center. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 1, Yankees 4 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 29 7:34 PM
- Andruw Jones doubled to center scoring Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher with two out. Runner on second and Jayson Nix due up.
White Sox 0, Yankees 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 29 7:30 PM
- Curtis Granderson none-out, two-run Home Run (22) to right center scored Derek Jeter. Mark Teixeira due up.
White Sox 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 29 7:22 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22