White Sox power past YankeesAug 21, 2012 - 6:04 AM
DeWayne Wise, Adam Dunn and Gordon Beckham also hit home runs for the AL Central leaders, who fell behind 3-0 after two innings, but then scored nine times over their last four frames.
A.J. Pierzynski went 3-for-5 with an RBI, as Chicago bounced back after being swept in Kansas City over the weekend. The White Sox snapped a six-game home skid to the Yankees.
"We didn't get off to a good start tonight," Dunn said. "I think it shows the resiliency of this team. We just kept battling."
Derek Jeter went 4-for-5 with a homer and two runs scored, and moved up the all-time hits list. Jeter increased his career hit total to 3,255, which passed Nap Lajoie (3,252) and tied Eddie Murray for 11th place.
Mark Teixeira knocked in two runs, but the Yankees saw their lead in the AL East dwindle to four games over the Tampa Bay Rays.
Gavin Floyd and Hector Santiago, Chicago's first two pitchers, combined to give up nine hits and six runs over 5 1/3 innings. Brett Myers (2-1) finished the seventh inning and Addison Reed worked the ninth frame for his 22nd save of the season.
Freddy Garcia, who pitched for the White Sox for 4 1/2 seasons, tied a season- high with eight strikeouts over 4 1/3 frames, but also walked four and gave up five runs on six hits.
After the Yankees scored three times in the sixth inning, Beckham led off the bottom half with a homer to right field to tie the game.
Pierzynski dribbled a hit toward third base, tight to the line, with one out in the seventh inning. With two outs, Ramirez, who had a hit taken away by an umpire's ruling in the fifth inning, clubbed his seventh homer of the season, a shot to left field off Boone Logan (4-2), for an 8-6 margin.
Dunn smacked his major league-leading 36th homer of the year, a blast to left off Derek Lowe in the eighth.
Teixeira hit a run-scoring single as part of a two-run first inning, and Curtis Granderson singled in a run in the next inning. Robinson Cano was thrown out at home on the play in the second frame.
Even though the White Sox went ahead by scoring five times in the fifth, a frame in which the Yankees used four pitchers, they caught a bad break to start the inning. Ramirez hit a bouncer fair in the infield and the ball then bounded over third base and into foul territory. Third base umpire Bill Welke signaled fair, but the call was changed after a conference.
Instead of being at second with a double, Ramirez struck out.
Beckham singled before Wise, who played in 56 games for the Yankees earlier this season, homered to right field for a 3-2 margin. The White Sox then loaded the bases on a single and a pair of walks, and Cody Eppley replaced Garcia.
Alex Rios then sent a grounder to third base. Eric Chavez threw to second for the force play, and Kevin Youkilis scored. Clay Rapada was summoned from the bullpen, but he was greeted by Pierzynski's go-ahead single up the middle.
Joba Chamberlain gave up Dayan Viciedo's RBI single to right field to cap the outburst for a 5-3 Chicago lead.
"I said there's some inconsistencies," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Chamberlain. "We had to mix and match early. We thought he could get some outs for us, and he struggled a little bit trying tonight."
Jeter homered to left field in the sixth, and Teixeira and pinch-hitter Casey McGehee added RBI base hits later in the inning.
Viciedo owns a career-high 11-game hitting streak ... The White Sox have won 16 of their last 21 games at U.S. Cellular Field ... Rios, who went 1-for-5, is mired in a 3-for-35 slump over his last eight games ... Chicago's bullpen has allowed 10 runs over the last three games ... The Yankees left 12 men on base.
- NEW YORK: 6
Aug 20 11:55 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, solo Home Run (36) to left. Paul Konerko due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 9 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 20 11:40 PM
- Gordon Beckham walked. Runner on first with two outs and DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 20 11:26 PM
- Gordon Beckham lead-off Home Run (12) to right. DeWayne Wise due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 20 10:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey McGehee single to left scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to second. Runners on first and second and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 6, White Sox 5 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 20 10:51 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runners on first and second and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 5, White Sox 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 20 10:43 PM
- Nick Swisher walked. Runner on first with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 4, White Sox 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 20 10:34 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to right scored Alex Rios with two out. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:26 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to center scored Adam Dunn with two out. On the play, Alex Rios advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dayan Viciedo due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:23 PM
- Alex Rios grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. On the play, Paul Konerko out at second and Adam Dunn advances to third. Runners on first and third and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:19 PM
- Adam Dunn walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Paul Konerko due up.
Yankees 3, White Sox 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 10:09 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to right scored Nick Swisher with two out. On the play, Robinson Cano out at home, right to catcher to end the inning.
Yankees 3, White Sox 0 Mid 2Aug 20 8:52 PM
- Eric Chavez grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, Curtis Granderson advances to second and Mark Teixeira out at third. Runners on first and second and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 20 8:27 PM
- Mark Teixeira single to center scored Derek Jeter with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 8:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22