Big first inning leads Cards past RedsApr 10, 2012 - 2:49 AM
With two outs, Matt Holliday began the onslaught by pulling Homer Bailey's slider into the left-center-field seats. After Lance Berkman walked, David Freese and Yadier Molina went back-to-back, as Freese launched a fastball out to the opposite field before Molina blasted the first offering from Bailey 413 feet to dead center field.
"I don't see us as that much of a home run-hitting team, but sometimes we get good wood on the ball and it goes out," said Freese.
Cardinals starter Jake Westbrook (1-0) walked four of the first seven batters but then settled down and did not issue a free pass thereafter, eventually tossing seven frames while allowing just one unearned run on three hits.
"Everyone knows [Westbrook] has a tendency to go out there and throw balls," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "But it's kind of hard to zero-in on a guy who's not throwing strikes."
Bailey (0-1) took the loss after giving up four runs on six hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out five.
Brandon Phillips scored the Reds lone run from first on an infield hit by Zack Cozart in the fifth after an errant throw from Westbrook sailed into right field.
However, Phillips immediately left the game for what the team called precautionary reasons upon suffering a cramp in his left hamstring.
Molina batted in two more runs in the eighth inning, plating Freese and Berkman on a double to left, and Matt Carpenter pinch-hit a sacrifice fly to plate Molina with the bases loaded three batters later.
It was the first time in his career Bailey gave up three home runs in one inning...Westbrook and Rafael Furcal were each charged with errors...Freese has eight RBI on the season.
- ST. LOUIS: 7
Apr 9 9:54 PM
- Matt Carpenter sacrifice fly to center scored Yadier Molina with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on first and third with Rafael Furcal due up.
Cardinals 7, Reds 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 9 9:29 PM
- Yadier Molina double to left scored Lance Berkman and David Freese with one out. Runner on second and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 6, Reds 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 9 9:21 PM
- Zack Cozart singled to pitcher. On the play, Brandon Phillips scored on Jake Westbrook's throwing error with two out. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Cardinals 4, Reds 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 9 8:39 PM
- Yadier Molina two-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 4, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 7:19 PM
- David Freese two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Lance Berkman. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 7:18 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 7:14 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21