Cardinals pound RedsApr 19, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Carlos Beltran and Tyler Greene each hit a two-run home run for the Cardinals, who have won four straight. Garcia (2-0) gave up just one run on seven hits with three walks and three strikeouts and added a two-run triple.
"He threw real well for us tonight," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny about Garcia. "He got in some situations where he had some walks and got behind, but he was able to spot his pitches and work through it."
Devin Mesoraco went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Reds, who have dropped five of six. Mat Latos (0-2) was lit up for eight runs on nine hits with three walks and six strikeouts over just 5 2/3 innings.
"It is what it is," said Latos. "That's a good hitting ballclub over there and I just couldn't get anything to work for me tonight."
This game belonged to St. Louis from the first inning as an RBI single from Lance Berkman scored the first run and David Freese added a two-run double later in the frame for a 3-0 lead.
The second inning saw Tyler Greene work a leadoff walk and Beltran clobber his fifth homer of the season for a 5-0 lead.
Mesoraco hit an RBI single in the fifth to plate Chris Heisey, who had preceded the at-bat with a triple, but that was it for Cincinnati as the Cardinals took over.
Garcia helped his own cause in the sixth with a two-run triple and later scored on a Furcal single for an 8-1 lead.
Green hit his two-run homer in the eighth and Furcal knocked an RBI single later in the frame for an 11-1 advantage.
St. Louis has now won four of five from the Reds this season, giving up just one run in each of the four wins...Latos fell to 1-3 in four games against St. Louis...Garcia improved to 7-1 in 11 games against the Reds...St. Louis goes for the sweep on Thursday with Adam Wainwright on the mound while Bronson Arroyo will pitch for Cincinnati.
- CINCINNATI: 1
ST. LOUIS: 11
Apr 18 11:03 PM
- Rafael Furcal singled to right scoring Shane Robinson. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Reds 1, Cardinals 11 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 18 10:51 PM
- Tyler Greene one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Yadier Molina. Victor Marte due up.
Reds 1, Cardinals 10 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 18 10:48 PM
- Scott Rolen singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 1, Cardinals 8 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 18 10:22 PM
- Jaime Garcia tripled to center scoring David Freese and Jon Jay. Runner on third with two outs and Rafael Furcal due up.
Reds 1, Cardinals 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 18 10:14 PM
- Devin Mesoraco singled to second scoring Chris Heisey. Runner on first with one out and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 1, Cardinals 5 Top 5, 1 OutApr 18 9:38 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Tyler Greene. Matt Holliday due up.
Reds 0, Cardinals 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 18 8:58 PM
- David Freese doubled to left scoring Carlos Beltran and Lance Berkman. Runner on second with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Reds 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 18 8:33 PM
- Lance Berkman singled to second scoring Rafael Furcal. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and David Freese due up.
Reds 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 18 8:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 8:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21