Bruce powers Reds over BrewersMay 8, 2012 - 4:31 AM
Zack Cozart also hit a solo shot in the inning for the Reds, who have won four of five. Bronson Arroyo (2-1) picked up the win by scattering six hits and one run with nine strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings.
"Getting a big lead early gave Bronson some room to breathe," Bruce said.
Ryan Braun homered for the Brewers, who saw Marco Estrada (0-2) surrender five runs on eight hits with five strikeouts over seven frames as they dropped their third in a row.
"[Estrada] started missing his location [in the fourth inning]," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "He gave up five, six hits that one inning and two, three the rest of the game. He threw a great game except for that inning."
Trailing 1-0, Cozart tied the game when he opened the fourth by lifting Estrada's first offering over the left-center field wall.
Drew Stubbs and Joey Votto followed with back-to-back doubles to give Cincinatti the lead, and Brandon Phillips singled to put runners on the corners.
Bruce then stepped to the plate, taking a ball in the dirt before crushing a 77 mile-per-hour changeup to right-center. The blast traveled an estimated 463 feet.
"That's as good as I can hit a ball," Bruce commented.
Braun had put Milwaukee in front with his own long shot in the home first, a solo homer he launched to dead center field.
A pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases in the fourth, but Arroyo got Cesar Izturis to line out to end the inning.
Miguel Cairo pushed the Reds' margin to 6-1 in the ninth with a ground-rule double that plated Chris Heisey, who had singled and stole second.
It was the ninth home run of the season for both Braun and Bruce...Cozart has three home runs on the season...Milwaukee finished 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and let seven men on base...Heisey committed his second error of the season.
- CINCINNATI: 6
May 7 10:59 PM
- Zack Cozart lined out to short to end the inning.
Reds 6, Brewers 1 Mid 9May 7 10:50 PM
- Jay Bruce none-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips. Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 7 9:06 PM
- Joey Votto doubled to right scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 7 9:03 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to center. Runner on second with none out and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 1, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 7 8:59 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Reds 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 7 8:25 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 8:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21