Frazier goes deep twice as Reds down MetsMay 17, 2012 - 4:41 AM
"I try to play guys in front of their home people. They play better, concentrate better," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Frazier, who was born in New Jersey and had his family in attendance.
Cincinnati received six innings, as well as two hits and a run scored, from starter Mike Leake, while Jose Arredondo (3-1) pitched a perfect seventh for the win and Sean Marshall tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his seventh save for the Reds, who have won three of four.
Jon Rauch (3-2) was charged with three runs in just a third of an inning to suffer the setback, as the Mets lost their third in four tries.
Rauch opened the eighth by giving up three straight hits, a pair of singles around a double, as Brandon Phillips brought home Drew Stubbs to tie the game. Tim Byrdak came in to pitch to pinch-hitter Jay Bruce, who eventually hit a long sacrifice fly.
D.J. Carrasco then entered and was greeted by Frazier, who launched Carrasco's first offering out to dead center field for a two-run shot.
"Left a slider over [the plate], too hittable of a pitch, and he drove it out of the yard," said Carrasco.
Earlier, Leake charged toward home on Zack Cozart's hit in the top of the third, sliding under Mike Nickeas' tag for the game's first run.
New York pulled into a tie a half inning later, when Lucas Duda plated Mike Baxter on a liner to left, and scored two sixth-inning runs, on an Ike Davis RBI double and Nickeas' suicide squeeze two batters later.
Frazier got the Reds within one in the seventh on an opposite-field blast into the right-field bullpen.
Mets starter Johan Santana, who has never lost against the Reds, allowed two runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings...The probables for Thursday's finale of this two-game set are Cincinnati's Mat Latos against R.A. Dickey.
- CINCINNATI: 6
NEW YORK: 3
May 16 10:02 PM
- Todd Frazier two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to center scored Brandon Phillips. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 6, Mets 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 16 9:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jay Bruce sacrifice fly out to right scored Joey Votto. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 4, Mets 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 16 9:36 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to center scoring Drew Stubbs. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 3, Mets 3 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 16 9:31 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 2, Mets 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 16 9:10 PM
- Mike Nickeas squeeze bunt from pitcher to first scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, Ike Davis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Johan Santana due up.
Reds 1, Mets 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 9:04 PM
- Ike Davis doubled to right scoring Lucas Duda. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Justin Turner due up.
Reds 1, Mets 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 16 9:01 PM
- Lucas Duda singled to center scoring Mike Baxter. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Daniel Murphy due up.
Reds 1, Mets 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 16 8:07 PM
- Zack Cozart doubled to left scoring Mike Leake. Runner on third with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 1, Mets 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 7:55 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21