Mets down RedsMay 17, 2012 - 10:48 PM
Lucas Duda and Justin Turner each knocked in two runs, Wright scored three times and Ronny Cedeno added a three-run blast in a five-run eighth inning as the Mets snapped a brief two-game skid.
"These guys are a resilient bunch," remarked Mets manager Terry Collins. "They don't get down when they lose tough games. They just know they have to come out and play. They're a joy to be around."
Bobby Parnell (1-0) got the victory after tossing a scoreless top of the eighth, while starter R.A. Dickey was charged for four runs -- three earned -- on five hits with eight strikeouts over six frames.
Logan Ondrusek (3-1) suffered the loss after giving up five runs on four hits and a walk in the eighth inning. Starter Mat Latos struck out seven and allowed three runs on seven hits over his five-plus innings of work.
"It's something that's going to happen," Ondrusek said. "I have to bear down next time and do a better job and not give up five."
Joey Votto added a solo blast in defeat as the Reds lost their second game in three tries.
The Mets trailed 4-0 heading into the bottom of the fifth, but scored nine unanswered runs to complete the comeback victory.
Andres Torres slapped a one-out single in the fifth and Wright worked a walk two batters later. Duda then lined a double into right, scoring both runners to bring the Mets within 4-2.
Ike Davis drew a leadoff walk in the sixth before a single from Cedeno marked the end of Latos' afternoon. J.J. Hoover entered and Mike Nickeas got down a bunt that Todd Frazier misplayed at third to load the bases before pinch-hitter Mike Baxter's sacrifice fly to left pulled the Mets within one.
Aroldis Chapman walked Wright to start the bottom of the seventh and Duda followed with a flare into shallow center.
Daniel Murphy then lifted a fly ball into center field where Drew Stubbs made a diving effort, but saw the ball tip off his glove to load the bases before a sac fly from a pinch-hitting Turner tied the game at 4-4.
Ondrusek entered for the Reds in the eighth, but Rob Johnson reached on a bunt single with one out before scoring from first on Wright's double into center field to give the Mets a 5-4 lead.
After Duda flied out and Murphy was intentionally walked, Turner lifted a fly ball into shallow left field that no one was able to get under, allowing Wright to score before Cedeno's first homer of the year pushed the margin to 9-4.
Earlier in the game, Votto's sixth homer of the season gave the Reds a 1-0 lead in the fourth before they added three more in the fifth.
After not walking a batter over the first four frames, Dickey plunked Ryan Ludwick to start the fifth and walked Frazier before Ryan Hanigan plated Ludwick with a double into center field.
Latos then pushed a run across with a sac fly and Hanigan scored on a passed ball to give the Reds a 4-0 lead.
Votto extended his streak of reaching base safely to 28 games with his home run in the fourth...Chapman had gone 19 1/3 consecutive innings without allowing a run this season...Ondrusek also had his streak of 15 1/3 consecutive scoreless innings snapped.
- CINCINNATI: 4
NEW YORK: 9
May 17 4:36 PM
- Ronny Cedeno two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner. Bobby Parnell due up.
Reds 4, Mets 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 17 4:22 PM
- Justin Turner singled to center scoring David Wright with two out. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Reds 4, Mets 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 17 4:21 PM
- David Wright doubled to center scoring Rob Johnson with one out. Runner on second and Lucas Duda due up.
Reds 4, Mets 5 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 17 4:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Turner sacrifice fly out to right scored David Wright with one out. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Reds 4, Mets 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 17 3:47 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Baxter sacrifice fly out to left scored Ike Davis with one out. Runners on first and second and and Andres Torres due up.
Reds 4, Mets 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 17 3:20 PM
- Lucas Duda doubled to right scoring Andres Torres and David Wright with two out. Runner on second and Daniel Murphy due up.
Reds 4, Mets 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 17 2:56 PM
- With Zach Cozart batting Ryan Hanigan scores on a passed ball with one out. None on with one out and Zack Cozart at the plate.
Reds 4, Mets 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 17 2:39 PM
- Mat Latos sacrifice fly out to right scored Todd Frazier with one out. On the play, Ryan Hanigan advances to third. Runner on third and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 3, Mets 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 17 2:36 PM
- Ryan Hanigan doubled to center scoring Ryan Ludwick with none out . On the play, Todd Frazier advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 2, Mets 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 17 2:32 PM
- Joey Votto one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 1, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 17 2:08 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 1:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21