Pettitte dazzles RedsMay 19, 2012 - 6:28 AM
Pettitte (1-1) made his second start since re-joining the club and limited the Reds to four hits, all singles, walked one and struck out nine to pick up his first regular-season win since July 8, 2010 at Seattle.
"It just felt good to get everything going. All of my pitches were working and my cutter was really sharp early. It just allowed me to open stuff up later in the game," said Pettitte.
Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez both homered in the eighth for New York, which avoided a season-high fourth consecutive loss.
Cincinnati starter Bronson Arroyo (2-2) gave up a fourth-inning run and recorded the first two outs in the eighth before Cano clubbed a solo home run to deep right field. Alex Rodriguez then singled and scored on Ibanez's blast to right.
"It's tough to keep those guys down all night," Arroyo said about the Yankees. "In the end, the four runs was a killer."
Boone Logan tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to complete the four-hit shutout.
The Yankees got on the board in the fourth. Curtis Granderson and Cano led off with back-to-back singles. Cano, however, was thrown out by right fielder Jay Bruce trying to stretch his hit into a double. Rodriguez, who was stranded at third base two innings earlier, then plated Granderson with a ground ball to shortstop.
Arroyo pitched out of trouble in the sixth to keep the deficit at one. After Derek Jeter and Granderson singled and Cano walked to load the bases with no outs, Jeter and Granderson were erased on consecutive plays at the plate before Nick Swisher popped out to short.
Pettitte threw 115 pitches, 78 for strikes...The Yankees and Reds have met three times in the World Series - 1939, 1961 and 1976...Arroyo made his 299th career start...New York took two of three from the Reds last year at Great American Ball Park...The Yankees were 13-5 overall against NL teams in 2011, while Cincinnati finished with a 6-12 record against the junior circuit last season...The Reds are making their first trip to new Yankee Stadium...Game time: 2:24.
- CINCINNATI: 0
NEW YORK: 4
May 18 9:33 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Alex Rodriguez. Nick Swisher due up.
Reds 0, Yankees 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 18 9:19 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Reds 0, Yankees 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 18 9:15 PM
- Alex Rodriguez ground out short to first scored Curtis Granderson with two out. None on and Raul Ibanez due up.
Reds 0, Yankees 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 18 8:10 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21