Reds club 3 HRs in rout of RockiesMay 27, 2012 - 3:45 AM
Brandon Phillips went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Joey Votto hit a pair of doubles and scored a run for the Reds, winners in seven of their last eight.
J.J. Hoover (1-0) picked up his first major league win after shutting down Colorado in 1 1/3 innings. Cincinnati's bullpen combined for 5 1/3 shutout innings.
"Tonight we were all just trying to go out there and do our jobs," Hoover said. "We give the team a chance to stay in the game if we come in behind or keep the game where it's at if we come in with the lead. We're just trying to do our jobs."
Tyler Colvin had two hits and a pair of RBI and Wil Nieves drove in a run for the Rockies, losers in seven of nine.
Jeremy Guthrie (2-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up six runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits over five innings.
The Rockies jumped ahead 1-0 in the first. Marco Scutaro opened the frame with a triple then scored when Colvin singled to left.
The Reds took a 4-1 lead in the home half. Zack Cozart reached on a fielding error before scoring when Phillips smacked a double to left. The ball deflected off third baseman Jordan Pacheco's glove and rolled into left, allowing Cozart to score. Jay Bruce walked before Heisey roped a three- run shot into the left field stands.
"We didn't get off to a very good start when you look back on the ball game," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said. "The error to lead the game off, it came back to haunt us after the Heisey at-bat."
Cicinnati made it 5-1 in the third after Votto doubled to open the inning and scored on Bruce's 12th double of the season.
Colorado came back with two in the fourth to make it 5-3. Pacheco doubled and scored when Nieves followed with his first double of the year. Colvin singled two hitters later to score Nieves.
Devin Mesoraco homered leading off the home fourth to move the Reds ahead 6-3.
The Reds added four in the seventh to take their 10-3 lead. Phillips singled to score Drew Stubbs and Heisy drew a walk to put two runners on for Luckwick, who belted a three-run shot, his fifth of the season.
Reds starter Mike Leake lasted just 3 2/3 after giving up three runs on nine hits...Votto has six multi-hit games in May...The Reds are 22-12 since April 19...The Rockies are 8-14 on the road this year.
- COLORADO: 3
May 26 10:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Ludwick two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Brandon Phillips and Chris Heisey. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 26 10:13 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scoring Drew Stubbs with none out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 26 10:03 PM
- Devin Mesoraco lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 26 8:54 PM
- Tyler Colvin singled to center scoring Wil Nieves with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 5 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 26 8:44 PM
- Wil Nieves doubled to center scoring Jordan Pacheco with none out. Runner on second and Jeremy Guthrie due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 5 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 26 8:38 PM
- Jay Bruce doubled to center scoring Joey Votto with one out. Runner on second and Chris Heisey due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 26 8:31 PM
- Chris Heisey two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Miguel Cairo due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 26 7:42 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to left scoring Zack Cozart with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 26 7:38 PM
- Tyler Colvin singled to left scoring Marco Scutaro with none out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 26 7:18 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 7:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21