Burnett strong in 7, Pirates top RedsMay 31, 2012 - 4:55 AM
Burnett (4-2) went seven strong innings, allowing only two hits and one unearned run. After Cozart's leadoff double, the next Reds hit came from Chris Heisey to leadoff the seventh inning.
"We couldn't muster back-to-back hits," Reds Manager Dusty Baker said. "We really couldn't have, really, any hits."
Matt Hague came through with a clutch two-out double that scored Neil Walker and Garrett Jones in the sixth inning.
"That's a big swing of the bat for us," Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle said. "Shows some growth in a young man."
Johnny Cueto (5-3) kept Cincinnati in front for most of the night, allowing only two runs on five hits in seven innings.
"He's matched up with a bunch of real good pitchers," Baker said. "He certainly could have had a chance to win that."
Heisey and Joey Votto delivered back-to-back singles with one out in the ninth, but Joel Hanrahan struck out Miguel Cairo and Ryan Hanigan to close the door on his 13th save of the year.
The Reds took an early 1-0 lead when Cozart scored in the first. After his ground-rule double, Drew Stubbs attempted a sacrifice, but Pedro Alvarez failed to field it cleanly and both runners were safe. Jay Bruce lined out to first before Brandon Phillips lofted a fly ball into left field, deep enough to score Cozart.
"[Burnett] kept us in it at the time," Hurdle said. "Kept their momentum at a minimum."
The Pirates were quiet until the sixth inning, when Walker worked a two-out walk. After Jones singled, Hague delivered the decisive blow in the win.
Jason Grilli pitched a scoreless eighth, striking out two, before Hanrahan closed out the game.
Burnett got his first hit since 2009 with a single in the fifth inning...Since allowing 12 runs in 2 2/3 innings against the Cardinals on May 2, Burnett has allowed seven runs in 34 1/3...The Reds fell to 13-4 in series this season...Cueto pitched his team-leading eighth quality start, tying Homer Bailey...The Pirates won 15 games in May for the first time since 2008...The Pirates concluded their nine-game homestand with a 6-3 record...Burnett has a 1.03 ERA (35 1/3 innings, four earned runs) at PNC Park this season. He has won his last three starts...Pittsburgh's Jordy Mercer picked up first major league hit in the first inning, a single.
- CINCINNATI: 1
May 30 9:49 PM
- Matt Hague double to right center scored Neil Walker and Garrett Jones with two outs. Runner on second and Rod Barajas due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 8:46 PM
- Brandon Phillips sacrifice fly out to left scored Zack Cozart with two out. Runner on second and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 30 7:13 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21