Reds down AstrosJun 2, 2012 - 4:51 AM
Leake (2-5) struck out seven and walked just three over seven frames.
"He struggled a little bit but got out of trouble when he had to," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker about Leake. "He gave up seven strong innings tonight and was sharp."
Jay Bruce homered and had two RBI while Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips each drove in a run for the Reds, winners in four of their last six.
Jed Lowrie went 1-for-2 with two walks and Carlos Lee had a hit for the Astros, who have lost seven in a row. Jose Altuve scored the lone run for Houston.
J.A. Happ (4-5) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs on five hits over seven innings.
"I made some good pitches, but then I didn't make a few there," said Happ. "Sometimes there's games where you have no room for error and tonight was one of them."
The Reds jumped ahead to an early 2-0 lead in the first. Votto single before scoring on Phillips' double. Bruce followed with a single to score Phillips.
Cincinnati added another run in the third to go ahead 3-0. Zack Cozart walked, moved to second on a Schafer sac-fly and scored when Votto laced a single up the middle.
The Astros got on the board in the sixth when Lee grounded into a double play. Altuve and Lowrie hit back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners before Lee grounded into the 4-6-3 double play.
Bruce's solo shot in the ninth gave the Reds' the deciding 4-1 lead.
Aroldis Chapman tossed a perfect ninth to seal his fourth save of the season.
Chapman extended his franchise-best record of appearances without a run to 22...Cincinnati had its first day off in 20 days on Thursday...Votto extended his hitting streak to eight games...Houston center fielder Jordan Schafer, who went 1-for-4 in the game, has a six-game hitting streak...Houston's seven- game slide is the longest since they dropped seven in a row August 9-15, 2011.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Jun 1 10:34 PM
- Aroldis Chapman starts the inning for the Reds.
Reds 4, Astros 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 1 10:30 PM
- Carlos Lee grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Jed Lowrie out at second. None on and Chris Johnson due up.
Reds 3, Astros 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 1 9:40 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded into a double play, third to second to first. On the play, Joey Votto out at second to end the inning.
Reds 3, Astros 0 Mid 3Jun 1 8:52 PM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Jay Bruce out at second to end the inning.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Mid 1Jun 1 8:18 PM
- Brandon Phillips double to left scored Joey Votto with two out. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 1 8:14 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21