Reds outslug AstrosJun 3, 2012 - 4:19 AM
Phillips ended with two hits and three RBI, Drew Stubbs collected three hits including a three-run homer, and drove in four for the Reds, who have won the first two in the series and five of seven overall.
Joey Votto finished 4-for-4 with a two-run shot and scored three times for Cincinnati. Sam LeCure (1-1) tossed two scoreless relief frames for the win.
J.D. Martinez totaled two hits and three RBI, Jed Lowrie added a two-run blast and Fernando Martinez drove in a pair for the Astros, losers of eight in a row.
Fernando Rodriguez (1-6) was charged with the deciding run to suffer the loss.
Beginning the sixth tied at 9-9, Rodriguez retired the first two batters but allowed a Votto single followed by Phillips' go-ahead two-bagger to give Cincinnati the lead for good.
Phillips provided two more insurance runs off Brandon Lyon in the eighth, singling home Zack Cozart and Stubbs for a three-run margin.
Aroldis Chapman closed the door in the ninth, working around a one-out walk to Chris Johnson by fanning Fernando Martinez and Matt Downs.
The Reds got three in the first on Stubbs' RBI double and a two-run shot from Votto, but the Astros countered in the home half on a Lowrie two-run homer.
Frazier gave Cincy back some cushion with a leadoff home run in the second. Ryan Hanigan then walked, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, went to third on an error that allowed Cozart to reach base and scored on Stubbs' three-run shot to left. Votto followed with a single and scored two batters later on a Chris Heisey RBI hit for an 8-2 lead.
Houston began its comeback in the home third as a J.D. Martinez groundout and Fernando Martinez two-run double made it 8-5. In the fourth, Jordan Schafer and Johnson each posted an RBI single sandwiched around a two-run hit from J.D. Martinez that put the Astros up 9-8.
Ludwick took away the momentum, starting the fifth with a solo homer to once again tie the contest.
Cincinnati has won four straight over Houston this season and six of the last seven meetings dating back to the end of last season...Reds starter Mat Latos lasted just 3 1/3 innings, charged with seven hits and seven runs -- four earned -- while fanning five and walking one...His counterpart Wandy Rodriguez worked five full frames, giving up nine hits and nine runs -- seven earned -- with two walks and three strikeouts...Votto has an active 20-game hitting streak at Minute Maid Park and is a career .426 hitter in the stadium.
- CINCINNATI: 12
Jun 2 11:06 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scoring Zack Cozart and Drew Stubbs with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 12, Astros 9 Top 8, 1 OutJun 2 10:32 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to right scoring Joey Votto with two out. Runner on second and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 10, Astros 9 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 2 9:46 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 9, Astros 9 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 2 9:17 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to right scoring J.D. Martinez with two out. Runner on first and Fernando Martinez due up.
Reds 8, Astros 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 9:11 PM
- J.D. Martinez singled to center scoring Jordan Schafer and Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Jed Lowrie out at home. Martinez advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Chris Johnson due up.
Reds 8, Astros 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 9:11 PM
- Jordan Schafer singled to center scoring Jason Castro with one out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Reds 8, Astros 6 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 2 8:57 PM
- Fernando Martinez doubled to left scoring Jed Lowrie and Chris Johnson with two out. Runner on second and Matt Downs due up.
Reds 8, Astros 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 2 8:38 PM
- J.D. Martinez grounded out second to first scoring Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Johnson due up.
Reds 8, Astros 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 2 8:30 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to center scoring Joey Votto with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 8, Astros 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 2 7:59 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Ryan Hanigan and Zack Cozart. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 7, Astros 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 2 7:55 PM
- Todd Frazier lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 4, Astros 2 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 2 7:46 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Jose Altuve. J.D. Martinez due up.
Reds 3, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 2 7:38 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Drew Stubbs. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 2 7:25 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to left scoring Zack Cozart with none out. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 2 7:22 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 7:17 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21