Pirates take opener of big series against RedsJun 6, 2012 - 4:38 AM
Alex Presley homered, tripled and scored twice while Casey McGehee homered and drove in two for the Pirates, winners in eight of their last 10.
A.J. Burnett (5-2) gave up three runs on five hits and struck out eight over five frames to win his fourth straight start.
Joel Hanrahan stranded two runners in the ninth to pick up his 15th save of the year, as the Pirates moved within two games of the first-place Reds in the NL Central.
Joey Votto drove in two runs while Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier each drove in a run for the Reds, losers in three of their last five.
Homer Bailey (4-4) lasted just three innings after giving up six runs on eight hits.
The Reds wasted no time and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first. Zack Cozart singled to open the inning, stole second and scored on Votto's single. Drew Stubbs, who walked prior to Votto's single, scored on Bruce's sacrifice fly in the next at-bat.
The Pirates answered back in the second to even the score. Garrett Jones hit a lead-off single, stole second before moving to third when Matt Hague grounded out. McGehee followed with a single that plated Jones. Rod Barajas grounded into to a fielder's choice then scored when Barmes roped a double to left- center.
Pittsburgh added four in the third to go ahead 6-2. Presley tripled before Walker clobbered a homer to center to open the frame. A Hague single followed by back-to-back walks issued to McGehee and Barajas loaded the bases. Barmes singled to left-center to make it a four-run cushion.
"I knew I squared it up," Walker said. "Any time it's hit to the central part of the park you're not quite sure. But I knew I hit it about as well as I hit a ball all year."
McGehee's solo homer in the fifth and Presley's blast in the sixth expanded the margin to six runs.
"It was good to score," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "But I think if you got any history here of this ball park and (the Reds), I mean, there were situations in this game that with one swing of the bat it could have tightened things up."
Cincinnati added one in the home half of the sixth. Bruce walked, moved to third on a Chris Heisey single then scored on Frazier's sacrifice fly.
The Reds wasted a bases-loaded opportunity in the seventh when Heisey fanned to end the inning.
Votto added an RBI single in the ninth. The Reds put two men in scoring position later in the frame, but Heisey struck out to end the game.
"We left quite a few men on base tonight," Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker said. "The big blow was the bases loaded, two-out single by Barmes. That was big."
Prior the game there was a moment of silence and video tribute to in honor of former Reds pitcher Pedro Borbon, who died Monday at age 65...The Pirates are 6-1 dating back to last season at Great American Ball Park....Pittsburgh is 20-1 when leading after six innings...Votto extended his hitting streak to 11 games...The Reds were 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 runners.
- PITTSBURGH: 8
Jun 5 10:46 PM
- Brandon Phillips struck out swinging. Runners on first and third with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 8, Reds 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 5 10:42 PM
- Devin Mesoraco popped out to third. Runner on first with two outs and J.J. Hoover due up.
Pirates 8, Reds 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 5 9:30 PM
- Alex Presley one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 8, Reds 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 5 9:12 PM
- Casey McGehee one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 7, Reds 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 5 8:53 PM
- Clint Barmes single to left scored Matt Hague and Casey McGehee with two out. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to second. Runners on first and second and A.J. Burnett due up.
Pirates 6, Reds 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 8:17 PM
- Neil Walker none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Alex Presley. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 4, Reds 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 5 8:04 PM
- Devin Mesoraco flied out to center. None on with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 5 7:54 PM
- Casey McGehee single to right scored Garrett Jones with one out. Runner on first and Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 2 Top 2, 1 OutJun 5 7:42 PM
- Jay Bruce sacrifice fly to left scored Drew Stubbs with two out. Runner on first and Chris Heisey due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 7:32 PM
- Joey Votto single to center scored Zack Cozart with none out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 5 7:27 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 5 7:12 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21