Tigers rally in 8th inning to down RedsJun 11, 2012 - 4:50 AM
Trailing 6-3, Detroit loaded the bases to begin the eighth, then pushed a run across when Aroldis Chapman (4-2) hit Matt Young with a pitch. Young eventually scored the go-ahead run on Chapman's wild pitch after Austin Jackson plated a pair with a ground-rule double.
Cincinnati had built its lead with the long ball, getting a two-run blast from Todd Frazier in the sixth and solo shots from Zack Cozart and Devin Mesoraco.
Brayan Villarreal (3-1) worked two innings and got the win despite allowing Frazier's homer. Starter Drew Smyly gave up three runs on four hits before leaving after the third inning with a blister on his left middle finger.
"He came up and said 'I can't go anymore,'" commented Tigers manager Jim Leyland. "I looked and I said 'Oh my God.' I've never seen anything like it. I couldn't believe it. It's the biggest blister I've ever seen."
Austin Jackson had a solo homer for the Tigers, who have won three of four, including the last two of this three-game interleague series.
Frazier also had a two-run, second-inning single for the Reds, losers of five of their last seven games.
Reds starter Homer Bailey left the game with a runner on first and two out in the seventh inning. His team held a 6-2 lead, but from there the bullpen methodically unraveled.
Jose Arredondo walked Miguel Cabrera before Prince Fielder laced an RBI single to right field off of Sean Marshall. Logan Ondrusek recorded the final out, but he began the eighth with a walk, then allowed Gerald Laird's single before giving way to Chapman, who gave up Brennan Boesch's base hit to load the bases.
"We were trying to go a fraction with Chapman. We didn't really want to go two innings with him," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "It was a series of bad events tonight."
Joaquin Benoit preserved the newfound lead, striking out Frazier with a runner on second to end the bottom of the eighth and Jose Valverde recorded his 12th save with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Cozart's and Mesoraco's homers came in the third and fourth inning, respectively.
Jackson's homer came in the fifth, an inning after Ramon Santiago plated Fielder with an infield single.
Smyly, a rookie, was making his 12th start of the season. He had his contract purchased from Triple-A Toledo on April 12...At least one home run has been hit in Great American Ball Park in 56 straight games, marking the longest active streak in the majors...Reds first baseman Joey Votto went 0-for-4, ending his career-high 15-game hit streak.
- DETROIT: 7
Jun 10 11:41 PM
- Aroldis Chapman wild pitch scored Matt Young, Quintin Berry advances to second, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runners on second and third and with none out and Miguel Cabrera at the plate.
Tigers 7, Reds 6 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 10 11:01 PM
- Austin Jackson ground-rule double to left scored Gerald Laird and Pinch-Runner Hernan Perez. On the play, Matt Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 6, Reds 6 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 10 10:56 PM
- Matt Young's two-out, hit-by-pitch scored Ramon Santiago. Bases loaded with none out and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 4, Reds 6 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 10 10:52 PM
- Logan Ondrusek enters the game for the Reds with runners on first and second with two out, batting 9th.
Tigers 3, Reds 6 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 10:25 PM
- Todd Frazier two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Brandon Phillips. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Tigers 2, Reds 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 10 10:00 PM
- Austin Jackson two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 2, Reds 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 10 9:29 PM
- Devin Mesoraco two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Homer Bailey due up.
Tigers 1, Reds 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 10 9:22 PM
- Ramon Santiago reached first on Brandon Phillips's fielding error scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Gerald Laird due up.
Tigers 1, Reds 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 10 9:13 PM
- Zack Cozart lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Chris Heisey due up.
Tigers 0, Reds 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 10 8:52 PM
- Todd Frazier single to right scored Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce with one out. Runner on first and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Tigers 0, Reds 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 10 8:38 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 8:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22