Cueto's gem lifts Reds past TribeJun 13, 2012 - 3:58 AM
Cueto (7-3) threw 81 of his season-high 122 pitches for strikes and allowed just a run on six hits. He struck out seven and did not walk a batter to collect the win.
"He's fun to play behind because he throws strikes," Reds outfielder Chris Heisey said. "He's excited when we're playing well and cheering for the team. Every fifth day, I love when he's going out there. He's got energy and we feed off that."
Joey Votto went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run and an RBI single, Wilson Valdez added three hits and an RBI and Jay Bruce contributed an RBI for the Reds, who bounced back nicely after losing two of three to Detroit over the weekend.
Jason Kipnis knocked in the only run of the night for the Indians, losers in two of their last three games.
Jeanmar Gomez (4-5) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and four walks over five innings.
Cincinnati broke a 1-1 tie in the fifth and didn't look back. Heisey and Brandon Phillips singled around an intentional walk to Votto to load the bases with one out. Bruce then lofted a fly ball to center, which allowed Heisey to tag and score to put the Reds up 2-1.
Valdez singled to begin the Cincinnati seventh and Tony Sipp was summoned from the Cleveland bullpen to face Votto, but he left a breaking ball over the plate which was quickly deposited into the left-field seats to make it a 4-1 game.
The Reds put the game away with three more runs in the eighth. Ryan Hanigan knocked in Ryan Ludwick with a base hit into right and then scored later in the frame on a groundout by Valdez. Votto followed with an RBI single to left to cap the scoring.
Cueto quickly got the first two outs in the ninth before allowing an infield hit to Carlos Santana. Reds manager Dusty Baker came out to the mound, but decided to leave him be. Cueto then got Michael Brantley to ground out to end the game.
"His stuff was on and he was throwing well," Kipnis said of Cueto's performance. "He was using his slider back door and got the ump to start giving him a couple inches up. When you start worrying about that pitch, he would came back with a fastball in. He had you off balance."
Earlier, the Indians jumped on top with a run in their first at-bat. Shin-Soo Choo ripped a leadoff double into the left-field corner, moved to third on a groundout by Asdrubal Cabrera and scored when Kipnis laced a base hit into left.
The Reds tied the game in the third thanks to some sloppy defense by Cleveland. With runners on the corners and one down, Santana sent a quick snap throw to first in an attempt to pick off Valdez. The throw hit Indians first baseman Casey Kotchman and went into right field, which allowed Cueto to score.
Reds shortstop Zack Cozart and center fielder Drew Stubbs both missed the game due to illness...Brantley (1-for-4) extended his hitting streak to 19 games...It was Cueto's sixth career complete game...Despite the loss, Cleveland holds a 39-37 lead in this series and has won six of the last eight meetings between the teams...At least one home run has been hit in of the last 57 games at Great American Ball Park. The last homerless game in Cincinnati took place on July 29, 2011 against the San Francisco Giants.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Jun 12 9:52 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Indians 1, Reds 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 12 9:41 PM
- Wilson Valdez ground out short to first scored Ryan Hanigan with two outs. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to second. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Indians 1, Reds 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 12 9:37 PM
- Johnny Cueto grounded out catcher to first. Runner on third with one out and Chris Heisey due up.
Indians 1, Reds 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 12 9:35 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Wilson Valdez. Brandon Phillips due up.
Indians 1, Reds 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 12 9:16 PM
- Jay Bruce sacrifice fly to center scored Chris Heisey with two outs. Runners on first and second and Todd Frazier due up.
Indians 1, Reds 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 8:41 PM
- Johnny Cueto scored on Carlos Santana's throwing error with one out. On the play Wilson Valdez advanced to second.Runner on second with one out and Joey Votto at the plate.
Indians 1, Reds 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 12 8:03 PM
- CLEVELAND: 1
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 12 7:16 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21