Reds sweep Indians behind offensive displayJun 14, 2012 - 9:46 PM
Joey Votto added a three-run homer and Ryan Ludwick hit a two-run bomb for the Reds, who have won five of their last eight games.
"We needed every run we could get today," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "They can score runs in bunches and we feel very fortunate to have swept them."
Cincinnati starter Mike Leake gave up three runs on seven hits and two walks over 4 1/3 innings, while Jose Arredondo (4-1) received the win with two- thirds of an inning of relief.
Josh Tomlin (3-4) allowed six runs on 10 hits and two walks in just four innings to take the loss for Cleveland, which has dropped five of its last seven.
"You have to give them credit. They beat us on both sides of the ball," Indians manager Manny Acta said about the Reds. "Their starters pretty much held our offense down and then they outhit us too."
Shin-Soo Choo homered twice in defeat.
Cleveland jumped out an early lead when Choo led off the game with a shot over the right-center field wall. Asdrubal Cabrera followed with a double down the first base line and crossed the plate on a pair of groundouts by Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana to give the Indians a quick two-run advantage.
But the Reds answered in the bottom of the first with Votto's three-run home run to center field to jump ahead, 3-2.
Chris Heisey and Zack Cozart started the frame with back-to-back singles prior to Votto's 12th homer of the season.
Phillips' leadoff blast to left field in the third inning gave Cincinnati a two-run edge.
The Reds loaded the bases with no outs on a walk by Devin Mesoraco and a pair of base hits by Leake and Heisey in the fourth inning and after Cozart grounded into a 5-2-3 double play, Phillips slapped a two-run single to right field, stretching the Reds' lead to 6-2.
Choo's second leadoff home run of the game in the fifth closed the gap to three, and Leake was later pulled with one out and runners on first and second.
Arredondo kept it a 6-3 game by inducing a grounder to second by Michael Brantley and striking out Jose Lopez.
Cincinnati, though, pulled away for good in the home fifth, starting with Ludwick's two-run homer to straightaway center field off Scott Barnes.
Mesoraco then doubled to left before moving to third on pinch-hitter Kristopher Negron's base hit. Heisey then hit a grounder to third that Lopez threw home, catching Mesoraco in a rundown.
But catcher Lou Marson ran into Mesoraco after chasing him down the basepath and Mesoraco was awarded home because of interference.
After Votto walked to load the bases, Phillips singled in Negron and Jay Bruce worked a walk to plate pinch-runner Homer Bailey to give the Reds an 11-3 lead.
After Cleveland left the bases loaded in the sixth, Negron reached second on an error by Lonnie Chisenhall and later crossed the plate on a wild pitch by Esmil Rogers in the bottom of the frame to increase Cincinnati's advantage.
RBI groundouts by Lopez and Aaron Cunningham in the seventh brought the Indians within 12-5, but J.J. Hoover and Sam LeCure both tossed a scoreless inning to close out the game for the Reds.
Negron's single in the fifth was his first career hit...Heisey left the game in the fifth inning with a mild left groin strain...Brantley extended his career-high hit streak to 21 games...Leake has now gone six straight starts without a loss...Cincinnati improved to 103-126 all-time in interleague play, while the Indians fell to 132-142...The all-time series between the teams is tied, 39-39.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Jun 14 3:54 PM
- Aaron Cunningham grounded out second to first scoring Michael Brantley with two out. None on and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 5, Reds 12 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 14 3:09 PM
- Jose Lopez grounded out second to first scoring Carlos Santana with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Runner on third and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Indians 4, Reds 12 Top 7, 1 OutJun 14 3:08 PM
- Esmil Rogers's wild pitch scored Kris Negron with two out. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to second. Runner on second and Joey Votto at the plate.
Indians 3, Reds 12 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 14 3:00 PM
- Jay Bruce walked scoring Homer Bailey with one out. Bases loaded and Todd Frazier due up.
Indians 3, Reds 11 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 14 2:27 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to left scoring Kris Negron with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second and Homer Bailey advances to third. Bases loaded and Jay Bruce due up.
Indians 3, Reds 10 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 14 2:27 PM
- Chris Heisey reached first on a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Lou Marson's interference error scored Devin Mesoraco with none out. Kris Negron advances to second. Runners on first and second and Zack Cozart due up.
Indians 3, Reds 9 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 14 2:23 PM
- Ryan Ludwick none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Todd Frazier. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Indians 3, Reds 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 14 2:10 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo lead off Home Run 2 (5) to right. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Reds 6 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 14 1:52 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scoring Mike Leake and Chris Heisey with two out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Indians 2, Reds 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 14 1:49 PM
- Brandon Phillips lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Indians 2, Reds 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 14 1:22 PM
- Joey Votto none-out, three-run Home Run (12) to center scored Chris Heisey and Zack Cozart. Brandon Phillips due up.
Indians 2, Reds 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 14 12:47 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded out second to first scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. None on and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 14 12:40 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera doubled to right. Runner on second with none out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 14 12:37 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 12:36 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21