Greinke, Brewers dodge sweep with 8-4 winJun 27, 2012 - 9:51 PM
Zack Greinke (9-2) got the win, allowing two runs on five hits with a walk over six innings. He improved to 4-0 in six career starts against the Reds.
Aramis Ramirez added a pair of RBI for Milwaukee, which halted a season-high four-game slide.
"I feel like we've been playing good all month and just not putting any streaks together," said Greinke.
Homer Bailey (5-6) gave up five runs -- four earned -- over four-plus innings to suffer the loss.
Ryan Ludwick hit two solo homers and Brandon Phillips added an RBI single for Cincinnati, which had won three of its previous four games.
Phillips left the game in the sixth inning after taking an inadvertent knee to the head from Ramirez earlier in the contest.
"He said he was feeling dizzy," Reds manager Dusty Baker told reporters. "When a guy says he is feeling dizzy you have to take every precaution you can."
Weeks opened the scoring in the second inning, belting a homer to center after Corey Hart's leadoff triple.
An inning later, Bailey walked Norichika Aoki, then allowed him to reach second on an errant pickoff attempt. Ramirez capitalized with a two-out single through the left side of the infield to give Milwaukee a 3-0 lead.
The Reds recorded a two-out extra-base hit in each of the first three innings. They wasted a Joey Votto double in the opening frame and a Todd Frazier triple in the second before finally capitalizing on Chris Heisey's Tobago in the third.
Votto followed that base hit with a walk before Phillips singled to right, making it 3-1, but Ransom extended the Cincinnati advantage a half-inning later.
The shortstop faced an 0-2 count with two down when he turned on a fastball and sent into the seats in left, scoring Hart in the process.
The Reds never recovered, despite getting leadoff homers from Ludwick in both the fourth and ninth innings. Miguel Cairo added an RBI groundout in the eighth, but the Brewers scored three runs in their final at-bat to increase the lead.
Travis Ishikawa had a two-out RBI single in the inning and Jose Arredondo issued a pair of bases loaded walks later in the frame.
Ludwick recorded his 14th career multi-homer game...The Reds went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position...At least one home run has been hit in each of the last 65 games at Great American Ball Park, marking the longest active streak in the major leagues.
- MILWAUKEE: 8
Jun 27 3:44 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead off Home Run 2 (11) to left center. Todd Frazier due up.
Brewers 8, Reds 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 27 3:39 PM
- Sam LeCure enters the game for the Reds with the bases loaded and two out, batting 5th.
Brewers 8, Reds 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 27 3:33 PM
- Aramis Ramirez's two-out, bases loaded walk scored Travis Ishikawa. Bases loaded with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 7, Reds 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 27 3:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Ishikawa singled to right scored Martin Maldonado. Runner on first with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 6, Reds 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 27 3:19 PM
- Miguel Cairo grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Zack Cozart, Chris Heisey out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Brewers 5, Reds 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 27 3:08 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Brewers 5, Reds 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 27 1:46 PM
- Cody Ransom two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Corey Hart. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 5, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 27 1:41 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to right scored Chris Heisey. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 27 1:30 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to left scored Norichika Aoki. Runner on first with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 27 1:18 PM
- Rickie Weeks none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Corey Hart. Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 27 12:53 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 12:35 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21