Reds hot: Arroyo, bullpen make Rox offense vanish into thin airJul 28, 2012 - 5:13 AM
Ludwick went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and another driven in, while Arroyo (6-6) scattered six hits in 6 2/3 scoreless innings to record the win, Cincinnati's eighth straight and 12th in 14 games since the All-Star break.
The Reds had not won eight in a row since an eight-game run from May 31-June 8, 2006.
"Things are kind of going our way right now," Arroyo said.
The Rockies fell for the seventh time in nine games, as Drew Pomeranz (1-6) was touched for three runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings to take the loss.
Ludwick played a role in both of Cincinnati's runs in the fourth, first doubling down the left-field line to knock in Brandon Phillips and later scoring on Todd Frazier's sacrifice fly.
Arroyo retired the first 11 batters he faced and worked out of a second-and- third, one-out jam in the fifth by striking out Josh Rutledge and getting Pomeranz on a comebacker to the mound.
Adam Ottavino relieved Pomeranz with two on and one out in the sixth and promptly threw two wild pitches, the last allowing Ludwick to cross the plate.
"The intent was to throw the slider down, and the ball got underneath [catcher Wilin Rosario]," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Ottavino's errant throw.
The Reds went to the bullpen with runners on first and second and two outs in the seventh, and Alfredo Simon kept the Rockies off the board by getting pinch-hitter Eric Young Jr. to ground into a fielder's choice.
Simon stayed on the hill and hurled a scoreless eighth, and Aroldis Chapman struck out three batters in the ninth to post his 20th save of the season.
Reds third baseman Scott Rolen went 2-for-4 in his 2,000th career game...The Reds have won seven straight road games...Jordan Pacheco and Carlos Gonzalez each had two hits for the Rockies, who went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight... Immediately after the game, the Rockies announced they have traded infielder Marco Scutaro to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for infielder Charlie Culberson.
- CINCINNATI: 3
Jul 27 11:27 PM
- Scott Rolen advances to third on a wild pitch. Ryan Ludwick scored on a wild pitch with one out. Runner on third and Todd Frazier at the plate.
Reds 3, Rockies 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 27 10:18 PM
- Todd Frazier sacrifice fly out to center scored Ryan Ludwick with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Rockies 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:34 PM
- Ryan Ludwick double to left scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on second and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 1, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 27 9:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21