Phillips lifts Reds over PadresAug 1, 2012 - 6:31 AM
Ryan Ludwick was 2-for-3 with a homer and four RBI and Todd Frazier hit a two- run homer for the Reds, winners in 11 of their last 12.
"I don't try to push myself harder, but I think we all knew having (Reds injured first baseman Joey Votto) out of the lineup is a huge loss," Ludwick said. "Everyone is picking each other up, and each night it's some one new."
Sean Marshall (4-3) earned the win after tossing a perfect seventh and eighth. Homer Bailey started for the Reds but lasted just 3 2/3 innings. He gave up six runs on nine hits and struck out two.
Aroldis Chapman tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his 22nd save of the season.
Cameron Maybin hit a three-run homer while Alexi Amarista and Will Venable each tripled and knocked in a run for the Padres, losers in three of four.
Jason Marquis (4-6) was pegged with the loss after giving up all seven runs on eight hits while striking out five, snapping a three-start winning streak.
The Reds went up 1-0 in the first. Chris Heisey doubled, moved to second on Wilson Valdez's groundout then scored when Ludwick singled to center.
Cincinnati scored five in the third to go up 6-0. Phillips reached on a fielder's choice and Jay Bruce singled before Ludwick ripped a three-run homer, his 18th of the year. Scott Rolen followed Ludwick with a single before Frazier clobbered a two-run blast to left.
But the Padres answered with six in the fourth to tie the game at 6-6. Yonder Alonso and Jeff Baker singled to set the table for Maybin who cracked a three-run homer to left-center. Marquis beat out an infield single then scored when Amarista tripled to right. Venable followed with a triple to right to plate Amarista before scoring on Chase Headley's base hit to right.
Phillips' solo shot in the seventh put the Reds back on top 7-6. He left the game in the eighth with a mild strain in his left calf. He also left Sunday's game in Colorado with a cramp in the same calf.
"We did a great job of battling back. I put them in a big hole early on and they just kept battling," said Marquis. "Unfortunately I couldn't hold it for them later in the game."
The Reds acquired reliever Jonathan Broxton from the Royals for minor leaguers Donnie Joseph and J.C. Sulbaran earlier on Tuesday...Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco left in the sixth with dizziness...36 of Chapman's last 49 outs recorded were strikeouts...The Padres are 17-13 all-time at Great American Ballpark.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
Jul 31 10:15 PM
- Brandon Phillips one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jay Bruce due up.
Padres 6, Reds 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 31 9:32 PM
- Chase Headley singled to right scoring Will Venable. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 6, Reds 6 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 31 8:29 PM
- Will Venable tripled to right scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on third with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 5, Reds 6 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 31 8:28 PM
- Alexi Amarista tripled to right scoring Jason Marquis. Runner on third with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Padres 4, Reds 6 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 31 8:24 PM
- Cameron Maybin one-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Yonder Alonso and John Baker. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 3, Reds 6 Top 4, 1 OutJul 31 8:21 PM
- Todd Frazier two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Scott Rolen. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Padres 0, Reds 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 31 8:13 PM
- Ryan Ludwick two-out, three-run Home Run (18) to center scored Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce. Scott Rolen due up.
Padres 0, Reds 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 31 8:10 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to left scoring Chris Heisey. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Scott Rolen due up.
Padres 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 31 7:29 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22