Ludwick powers Reds to win over PadresAug 2, 2012 - 5:50 AM
Ludwick belted a two-run homer in the first inning, knocked in the go-ahead run in the fifth and added insurance with an RBI single in the seventh.
"We have to have somebody hot in the middle and that's what Ryan Ludwick is giving us now. He's driving in key runs, hitting home runs and running the bases," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Zack Cozart also hit a first-inning homer -- a leadoff shot -- for the Reds, who have taken two of three to start this four-game series and are a major league-best 16-3 since the All-Star break.
Bronson Arroyo (7-6) won his third straight start, allowing four runs on seven hits over six innings. He walked two and struck out one.
Jonathan Broxton, who was acquired from the Royals on Tuesday, tossed a 1-2-3 eighth in his Cincinnati debut and Aroldis Chapman worked around a two-out double in the ninth to lock down his 23rd save of the season.
Chase Headley had a first-inning, two-run homer for the Padres and later added an RBI single, which briefly put his team on top in the fourth.
Kip Wells (2-4) lasted 4 1/3 innings against his former team and was charged with five runs on five hits. He also singled and scored a run.
The Padres were coming off of a 15-11 July -- their first winning month of the season.
Wells, who pitched with the Reds in 2009, reached with a two-out line drive in the fourth and scored the tying run on back-to-back singles by Alexi Amarista and Will Venable.
Headley then plated Amarista with a base hit, making it 4-3, but the Reds battled back in the fifth.
Drew Stubbs singled and scored the tying run on Jay Bruce's one-out double down the right field line. Dale Thayer then relived Wells and recorded an out before Ludwick flared a sinking liner to right, making it 5-4.
The Reds are 13-3 since former NL MVP Joey Votto went down with a knee injury in late June and Ludwick has been essential, driving in 20 runs over that span. He is in the midst of a six-game hitting streak and a five-game RBI streak and is 7-for-15 with four home runs and 12 RBI over his last four contests.
"Ludwick, over the last three weeks has really done well," commented Padres manager Bud Black. "He's in a nice groove."
The Cincinnati bullpen was also key on Wednesday, as Sean Marshall relieved Arroyo with a perfect seventh and Chapman fanned Logan Forsythe after Carlos Quentin's ninth-inning double.
Chapman has converted 15 straight save opportunities and had recorded at least one strikeout in 47 of 48 appearances this season.
Reds second baseman Wilson Valdez left the game with a neck injury. He was replaced by Miguel Cairo in the fifth inning...Broxton was acquired from the Royals in exchange for minor leaguers pitchers Juan Carlos Sulbaran and Donnie Joseph...Earlier Wednesday, Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine from Major League Baseball for making contact with an umpire.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Aug 1 10:16 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to center scored Drew Stubbs with two outs. On the play, Scott Rolen was tagged out between second and third and Ryan Ludwick was tagged out at second to end the inning.
Padres 4, Reds 6 End 7Aug 1 9:50 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to right scored Jay Bruce with two outs. Runner on second and Todd Frazier due up.
Padres 4, Reds 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 1 9:00 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on second and Scott Rolen due up.
Padres 4, Reds 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 1 8:51 PM
- Chase Headley single to second scored Alexi Amarista with two outs. On the play, Will Venable advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 4, Reds 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 1 8:23 PM
- Will Venable single to center scored Kip Wells with two outs. On the play, Alexi Amarista advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 3, Reds 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 1 8:21 PM
- Ryan Ludwick two-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Scott Rolen. Todd Frazier due up.
Padres 2, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 1 7:33 PM
- Zack Cozart lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Drew Stubbs due up.
Padres 2, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 1 7:24 PM
- Chase Headley one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Alexi Amarista. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 1 7:17 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22