Frazier, Reds take series with PadresAug 3, 2012 - 2:21 AM
Jay Bruce totaled two hits and two RBI, while Scott Rolen added three hits and drove in one for the Reds, who took three of four in the series and have won 13 of 14 overall.
Johnny Cueto (14-5) allowed eight hits and four runs with nine strikeouts over 7 1/3 innings for the win. The 26-year-old right-hander served up his first homers since May 25 and allowed more than one long ball for the first time since 2010.
Chase Headley hit a two-run single and both Cameron Maybin and Eddy Rodriguez went deep for the Padres, who have dropped five of six.
Ross Ohlendorf (3-2) recorded just five outs in defeat, charged for six runs and six hits while walking three.
The hosts chased San Diego's starter with a six-run second inning.
Rolen began the rally with an infield single and Frazier followed by reaching the seats in left for a 2-0 game. Zack Cozart and Miguel Cairo added base hits and Ryan Hanigan's double off the top of the wall in right brought home Cozart for a three-run spread.
Ohlendorf recovered to retire the next two batters, but Drew Stubbs walked and Bruce singled in a pair and a balk plated Stubbs to make it 6-0. Ohlendorf was finally yanked after walking Rolen and Frazier, then Eric Stults retired Cozart to end the frame.
"Any time you have that big inning like that early in the game you know you're going to get into their bullpen and you hope you get a couple more add-on runs like we did," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "It was a good day offensively for us."
Rodriguez connected for his first career homer in his first at-bat with one down in the third, then Stults and Alexi Amarista -- who both singled -- came in on Headley's two-out hit to close the gap to 6-3.
"To tell you the truth, I was just trying to see the ball and hit the ball," remarked an emotional Rodriguez after the game. "I just thought of my mom. I'm just very blessed to be here."
Maybin's one-out homer to left in the fourth brought the Padres within two, but the Reds struck back to take an 8-4 lead on RBI singles from Rolen and Cozart in their turn.
Cueto didn't allow a runner past first base from Maybin's blast through the end of his outing, which came after erasing Will Venable on a Headley fielder's choice grounder.
Logan Ondrusek sent down the next two Padres and Jose Arredondo stranded Rodriguez on second to end the game.
Cueto surrendered four homers to the Los Angeles Dodgers in an 8-5 Reds loss at Chavez Ravine on August 21, 2010 -- the third and last time he suffered that fate that season...The Rodriguez homer was the first by a right-hander allowed by Cueto since Washington's Ryan Zimmerman hit one on August 17, 2011...Cincinnati improved to 64-41, the first time it has been as many as 23 games over .500 since September 4, 2010...San Diego set a season-high for runs allowed in one inning after coughing up the six in the second....The Padres finished 3-7 on their 10-game road swing.
- SAN DIEGO: 4
Aug 2 3:37 PM
- Todd Frazier's fielder's choice from third to second scored Jay Bruce. Scott Rolen out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Padres 4, Reds 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 3:24 PM
- Zack Cozart singled to left scoring Jay Bruce. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 4, Reds 8 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 2 2:11 PM
- Scott Rolen singled off third to short scoring Drew Stubbs. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Todd Frazier due up.
Padres 4, Reds 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 2 2:07 PM
- Cameron Maybin one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left-center. Eddy Rodriguez is due up.
Padres 4, Reds 6 Top 4, 1 OutAug 2 1:53 PM
- Chase Headley singled off short to center scoring Eric Stults and Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 3, Reds 6 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 2 1:37 PM
- Eddy Rodriguez one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left-center. Eric Stults is due up.
Padres 1, Reds 6 Top 3, 1 OutAug 2 1:30 PM
- Ross Ohlendorft's balk scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with two outs and Scott Rolen at the plate.
Padres 0, Reds 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 1:18 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to center scoring Miguel Cairo and Ryan Hanigan. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Scott Rolen due up.
Padres 0, Reds 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 1:16 PM
- Ryan Hanigan doubled to right scoring Zack Cozart. On the play, Miguel Cairo advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Johnny Cueto due up.
Padres 0, Reds 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 2 1:05 PM
- Zack Cozart singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 0, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 2 1:00 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 12:35 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22