Leake throws complete game, Reds down MetsAug 16, 2012 - 4:18 AM
Cincinnati was coming off consecutive shutout victories and Leake (5-7) stretched the club's scoreless innings streak to 28 by retiring the first nine batters he faced.
In all, the 24-year-old righty gave up four hits, struck out four and did not issue a walk. He added an RBI single in the sixth inning.
"I was able to hit the glove a lot tonight," said Leake.
Jay Bruce led off that frame with his 24th homer of the season. Brandon Phillips and Ryan Ludwick each drove in a run for the NL Central leaders, who have won five in a row and will look for the sweep of this three-game series on Thursday.
R.A. Dickey (15-4) was charged with five runs on 10 hits, including three homers, over six innings. He walked two and struck out nine.
Mike Baxter led off the fourth inning with the Mets' first hit -- a single to the right side of the infield which bounced off the glove of a sliding Phillips. Ruben Tejada followed with a bloop single to shallow right before Baxter crossed the plate on Daniel Murphy's double-play groundout.
New York has dropped seven of its last nine games.
"We haven't done much lately and I'm gonna find some guys," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "Maybe it's time for some breaks for some guys."
Zack Cozart doubled twice and scored on Phillips' first-inning single for a 1-0 lead.
Bruce led off the fourth with a base hit, but was promptly picked off. Rolen, who missed the previous five games with a balky back, then sent the next offering from Dickey -- a fastball -- down the left-field line and into the seats.
"(Dickey) throws about 84 (miles per hour), which is about my bat speed," joked Rolen. "Anything over 90, I struggle with."
Two pitches later, Frazier uncorked a blast to center, making it 3-1.
The homer, which was estimated at 474 feet, extended the rookie's hit streak to six games. He finished 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
In the seventh, Ludwick plated Drew Stubbs with a base hit off of Jeremy Hefner to cap the scoring.
It was Leake's second career complete game. The other came on June 29 against the Giants ... Frazier leads NL rookies with 49 RBI this season ... The last time Dickey gave up five earned runs was in a no-decision against the Atlanta Braves on July 14 ... Earlier Wednesday, the Mets activated catcher Kelly Shoppach and optioned catcher Rob Johnson to Triple-A Buffalo. Shoppach was acquired in a trade with Boston on Tuesday.
- NEW YORK: 1
Aug 15 9:31 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to left scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on first with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Mets 1, Reds 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 15 9:05 PM
- Mike Leake single to left scored Todd Frazier. Runner on first with two out and Zack Cozart due up.
Mets 1, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 8:42 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (24) to right. Scott Rolen due up.
Mets 1, Reds 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 15 8:37 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, solo Home Run (15) to center. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Mets 1, Reds 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 15 8:08 PM
- Scott Rolen one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Mets 1, Reds 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 15 8:08 PM
- Daniel Murphy grounde out short to second to first scored Mike Baxter. Ruben Tejada out at second. None on with two out and David Wright due up.
Mets 1, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 15 8:02 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to center scored Zack Cozart. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Mets 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 15 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 7:09 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21