Harvey leads Mets past RedsAug 17, 2012 - 4:28 AM
Harvey (2-3), who made his major league debut on July 26, took a perfect game into the fifth. In all, the 23-year-old righty was charged with one run on four hits with a walk and eight strikeouts. He now has 34 Ks in five career starts.
"I knew it was going to be a tough lineup. I just wanted to go out and not so much worry about who I was facing, as much as where the call was, where the pitch was supposed to go and try and execute as best I could," said Harvey.
Ike Davis homered and drove in a pair while Jason Bay hit a solo shot for the Mets, who scored just one run over the first two games of the series.
Homer Bailey (10-8) took the loss, allowing six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings. He walked three and struck out six.
"Physically I feel great. I have no excuses. I'm just not making pitches as consistently as I need to," said Bailey.
Jay Bruce had a seventh-inning RBI double and Ryan Ludwick homered during a three-run ninth for the Reds, who saw their five-game win streak come to an end. They still lead the NL Central by six games.
Entering Thursday, Cincinnati had given up just one run over a 34-inning stretch, but New York used a pair of three-run frames to secure its third win in the last 10 games.
Davis led off the fourth with his 21st homer of the year before a two-out single by Bay and an intentional walk to Kelly Shoppach set up Harvey's blast to the wall in left-center field, which made it 3-0.
In the sixth, Bay belted a one-out homer to right and Shoppach reached on an error by third baseman Scott Rolen. Harvey moved Shoppach up with a sacrifice bunt and Ruben Tejada followed with an RBI double. Mike Baxter then singled home Tejada for a 6-0 lead.
Harvey, who had lost three straight starts after winning his debut, hit Ludwick with a pitch to begin the fifth inning. Rolen followed with a two-out infield single to break up the no-hitter, but Devin Mesoraco grounded out to end the threat.
Brandon Phillips led off the seventh with a double and crossed the plate on Bruce's two-bagger down the right-field line.
Davis tacked on an RBI double in the ninth and scored later in the frame when shortstop Zack Cozart couldn't handle a sharp grounder from Justin Turner.
In the bottom half, Frank Francisco gave up a leadoff homer to Ludwick, an RBI single to Miguel Cairo and a run-scoring double to Cozart before Jon Rauch struck out Wilson Valdez to secure his third save of the season.
Harvey's 34 strikeouts over his first five major league games rank second in Mets history behind Dwight Gooden (36) ... Rauch has allowed just one run over his last 20 appearances dating back to June 28 ... The Reds are 21-9 since Joey Votto left the lineup.
- NEW YORK: 8
Aug 16 10:07 PM
- Jon Rauch enters the game for the Mets with runners on second and third and two out.
Mets 8, Reds 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 16 10:03 PM
- Miguel Cairo single to center scored Jay Bruce with two out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Mets 8, Reds 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 16 9:59 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lead-off Home Run (22) to right. Jay Bruce due up.
Mets 8, Reds 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 16 9:51 PM
- Zack Cozart fielding error scored Ike Davis with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Bay due up.
Mets 8, Reds 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 16 9:46 PM
- Ike Davis double to center scored David Wright with one out. Runner on second with one out and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 7, Reds 1 Top 9, 1 OutAug 16 9:42 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on second with one out and Todd Frazier due up.
Mets 6, Reds 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 16 9:12 PM
- Mike Baxter single to right scored Ruben Tejada with two out. Runner on first with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 6, Reds 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 16 8:50 PM
- Ruben Tejada double to left scored Kelly Shoppach with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Baxter due up.
Mets 5, Reds 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 16 8:49 PM
- Jason Bay one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Mets 4, Reds 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 16 8:45 PM
- Matt Harvey double to left center scored Jason Bay and Kelly Shoppach with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 3, Reds 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 16 8:11 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 1, Reds 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 16 8:02 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 16 7:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21