Bruce, Reds pound AstrosSep 1, 2012 - 6:00 AM
Zack Cozart hit a two-run home run while Brandon Phillips added three hits and a run scored for the Reds, who have won their past four games.
Mike Leake (7-8) got the win for Cincinnati as he gave up just two runs on seven hits with two walks and six strikeouts over six innings.
"They made it a little tough on me," Leake said. "I was kind of missing just off and they were being patient. It was a good plan on their part."
Fernando Martinez and Matt Dominguez each hit a solo home run for the Astros, who lost 22 games in August. Fernando Abad (0-2) gave up six runs on nine hits in just 4 1/3 innings.
The Reds struck in the third inning to take the lead as Dioner Navarro doubled to start the inning and, two batters later, Cozart belted a shot for his 15th of the year for a 2-0 lead.
Martinez led off the fourth with his third homer of the year and Dominguez followed suit with his first career round-tripper to tie the game.
Cincinnati, though, took over in the fifth. Cozart led off with a double and scored on a Chris Heisey single. Two batters later, Ryan Ludwick singled and Bruce followed with his 28th homer of the year for a 6-2 advantage.
Phillips singled home a run in the seventh while Miguel Cairo scored a run in the eighth with a single and Heisey hit into a fielder's choice that scored another run for a 9-2 lead.
The Astros got one back in the eighth on Jimmy Paredes' sac fly, but went down in order in the ninth.
"That team over there is designed to hit home runs," Astros interim manager Tony DeFrancesco said. "They have two or three guys who can really hurt a baseball."
The Reds have won eight of their 10 games against the Astros this season...Houston left seven on base and went just 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position...Leake moved to 5-4 in 12 games against the Astros.
- CINCINNATI: 9
Aug 31 11:10 PM
- Fernando Martinez lined out to short. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Dominguez due up.
Reds 9, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 31 10:53 PM
- Chris Heisey ground into a fielder's choice scored Dioner Navarro with two outs.
Reds 9, Astros 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 31 10:45 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Miguel Cairo single scored Scott Rolen with no outs.
Reds 8, Astros 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 31 10:39 PM
- Brandon Phillips single scored Chris Heisey with no outs.
Reds 7, Astros 2 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 31 10:14 PM
- Mickey Storey enters the game for the Astros with one out and nobody on base.
Reds 6, Astros 2 Top 5, 1 OutAug 31 9:41 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to right scored Zack Cozart,on the play Chris Heisey advances to second on Jimmy Paredes's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Astros 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 31 9:33 PM
- Brandon Barnes grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Fernando Abad due up.
Reds 2, Astros 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 31 9:25 PM
- Fernando Martinez lead-off Home Run (3).
Reds 2, Astros 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 31 9:22 PM
- Zack Cozart one-out, two-run Home Run (15) scored Dioner Navarro.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 31 8:47 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 8:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21