Reds rally late to top AstrosSep 3, 2012 - 1:51 AM
Chris Heisey hit a pinch-hit, go-ahead RBI double as part of a five-run eighth inning and Cincinnati downed the Houston Astros, 5-3, in the rubber match of a three-game set Sunday.
Drew Stubbs worked a one-out walk before Brandon Phillips singled to put runners on the corners. Jay Bruce stepped up next and clobbered a Xavier Cedeno (0-1) hanging breaking pitch deep into the second deck, which knotted the game at 3-3.
Todd Frazier singled and scored when Heisey, pinch-hitting for Xavier Paul, banged a double off the top of the wall in left field. Miguel Cairo plated Heisey with a double into the left-center field gap, which made it 5-3 in favor of Cincinnati.
Aroldis Chapman struck out two in a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 34th save of the season for Cincinnati, which is an MLB-leading 35-15 since the All Star break.
"We looked bad for a while," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "We got some guys on base late and got some big hits."
Reds starter Bronson Arroyo surrendered a run on three hits and a walk in six innings, while Jose Arredondo (6-2) got the win despite giving up two runs in the seventh.
Tyler Greene had two hits, including a solo home run, for Houston, which has lost seven of its last eight.
"They put together some good at-bats and got some big hits and were just able to pull ahead," said Greene.
The Astros plated one in the fifth and two more in the seventh for a 3-0 lead.
Brian Bogusevic brought home a run in the fifth after grounding into a fielder's choice, while Fernando Martinez belted an RBI triple and Greene's solo blast to left field in the seventh made it 3-0.
The Reds were 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position, while Houston finished 1-for-4...Bruce's homer was his 29th of the year...Chapman recorded his 26th straight save, the longest streak for the Reds since Francisco Cordero had 29 in a row from 2008-09 ... Astros radio play-by-play broadcaster Milo Hamilton celebrated his 85th birthday on Sunday. He is retiring at the end of the season.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Sep 2 5:16 PM
- Miguel Cairo double to center scored Chris Heisey with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 5, Astros 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 2 4:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey double to left center scored Todd Frazier with one out. Runner on second and Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 4, Astros 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 2 4:42 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, three-run Home Run (29) to right scored Drew Stubbs and Brandon Phillips. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 3, Astros 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 2 4:33 PM
- Brian Bogusevic struck out swinging to end the inning.
Reds 0, Astros 3 End 7Sep 2 4:18 PM
- Fernando Martinez triple to center scored Jason Castro with one out. Runner on third and Tyler Greene due up.
Reds 0, Astros 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 2 4:14 PM
- Brian Bogusevic grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Matt Dominguez with two out. On the play, Tyler Greene out at second and Fernando Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third with Bud Norris due up.
Reds 0, Astros 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 2 3:26 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 2:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21