Backed by homers, Arroyo earns 12th winSep 9, 2012 - 6:50 AM
Arroyo (12-7) was charged with one run on seven hits. He walked two, struck out five and picked up his fifth win in six starts.
Bruce and Phillips both hit solo shots, while Ryan Hanigan added an RBI single during a three-run sixth inning.
The NL Central-leading Reds dropped the opener of this three-game series on Friday when Aroldis Chapman suffered his first blown save since June 24.
"It was important for us to win, especially the way the scoreboard was looking up there with Pittsburgh losing and St. Louis losing," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Bud Norris (5-12) continued to struggle for the last-place Astros. The righty gave up five runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings and fell to 0-11 in his last 16 starts.
Justin Maxwell had a first-inning, RBI single in the loss.
"Bronson was great other than that first inning," Baker said of his starter.
Bruce led off the second with his 33rd homer of the year and Phillips cracked his 16th to start the third.
In the sixth, Joey Votto hit a leadoff double before walks to Bruce (intentional) and Todd Frazier loaded the bases with one down. Hanigan's base hit to right plated Votto and knocked Norris from the game.
Wilson Valdez then tapped a soft grounder towards the mound and reliever Fernando Rodriguez threw the ball away while attempting to record a force out at home plate.
Bruce and Frazier scored on the play for a 5-1 lead.
Sean Marshall tossed a scoreless eighth and Jonathan Broxton stranded a pair in the ninth, as the Reds halted a two-game slide.
Arroyo hasn't lost since Aug. 6 at the Milwaukee Brewers ... Norris hasn't won since May 21 against the Chicago Cubs. The Astros are 1-15 in his last 16 starts ... Norris fell to 0-3 lifetime against the Reds.
- HOUSTON: 1
Sep 8 10:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Chris Heisey due up.
Astros 1, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 8 9:18 PM
- Ryan Hanigan singled to right scoring Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to second and Jay Bruce advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Wilson Valdez due up.
Astros 1, Reds 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 8 9:04 PM
- Joey Votto grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Astros 1, Reds 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 8:05 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (33) to center. Todd Frazier due up.
Astros 1, Reds 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 8 7:39 PM
- Justin Maxwell singled to center scoring Fernando Martinez with two out. Runner on first and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 8 7:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21