Astros top Reds for first series win in a monthSep 10, 2012 - 12:12 AM
Fernando Martinez had a sacrifice fly and scored a run for Houston, which had lost four of its last six coming in.
Edgar Gonzalez (2-0) struck out six and allowed a run on two hits and a walk in five innings to earn the win.
National League Cy Young candidate Johnny Cueto (17-8) also fanned six, but surrendered four runs on nine hits and a walk over four frames to drop back- to-back starts for the first time since the All-Star break for the Reds, who have lost five of their last eight games.
"What hurt him was that three-run homer by Dominguez. It was a high change- up," Reds manager Dusty Baker said about Cueto.
Jay Bruce tallied two hits, including an RBI triple, in defeat.
The Astros jumped out to a 4-0 lead after the first three frames.
In the first, three straight singles by Jimmy Paredes, Brian Bogusevic and Brett Wallace loaded the bases before Martinez lifted a sacrifice fly to center field. Dominguez then grounded into a 6-4-3 double to end the threat.
Wallace singled and Martinez walked with two outs in the third before Dominguez crushed a three-run shot deep into the seats in left field.
"I feel good right now. I feel confident and relaxed," Dominguez said. "I'm getting some good pitches to hit and I'm putting the barrel on them."
Joey Votto worked a one-out a walk in the fourth inning and scored when Bruce smacked a triple to deep center, but Houston got the run back in the sixth on Tyler Greene's solo blast to right field, which made it 5-1.
Houston was 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven, while Cincinnati finished 0-for-6 with RISP and left six men on base ... Dominguez's homer was his third of the season.
- HOUSTON: 5
Sep 9 4:19 PM
- Tyler Greene one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right center. Edgar Gonzalez due up.
Astros 5, Reds 1 Top 6, 1 OutSep 9 3:06 PM
- Jay Bruce tripled to left scoring Joey Votto with one out. Runner on third and Todd Frazier due up.
Astros 4, Reds 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 2:36 PM
- Matt Dominguez two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Brett Wallace and Fernando Martinez. Carlos Corporan due up.
Astros 4, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 9 2:02 PM
- Fernando Martinez sacrifice fly out to center scored Jimmy Paredes with one out. Runners on first and second and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 9 1:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 1:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21