Phillips, Reds slip past reeling PiratesSep 12, 2012 - 6:24 AM
Mike Leake (8-9) gave up nine hits and three runs, including two home runs, in seven innings for the NL Central-leading Reds. The right-hander helped his own cause with two singles and scored during a three-run second inning.
Kevin Correia (10-9) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits and walked three over six frames for Pittsburgh, which has lost five straight and nine of its last 11 games.
"They had some sideways damage done on him, but he gave us an opportunity to win the game," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of his starter.
The Pirates, who also have dropped eight in a row on the road, put their first two batters on base in the seventh inning as Jose Tabata walked and Michael McKenry singled to center field. After pinch-hitter Jeff Clement grounded into a double play, another pinch-hitter, Gaby Sanchez, hit a line-drive home run to left field, trimming Pittsburgh's deficit to 4-3.
Scott Rolen, though, responded with a solo shot in the eighth for Cincinnati.
Jonathan Broxton worked the ninth for his first save as a Red.
Alex Presley homered off Leake in the first inning, but Phillips immediately countered by launching Correia's first pitch of the game over the left-field wall.
"I just went up there and tried to see a ball, tried to hit something hard," Phillips said. "I hit it real low and I hit it real hard and I'm mad happy that I hit a leadoff home run. It felt good."
Cincinnati grabbed the lead in the second on an RBI double by Phillips, which followed Dioner Navarro's leadoff walk and Leake's one-out single. Leake then hustled home on a wild pitch, beating a throw from the catcher McKenry that eluded Correia. The error enabled Phillips to score as well.
Reds closer Aroldis Chapman will be given a few days off to rest his tired shoulder ... The Pirates entered play leading the National League with 89 home runs on the road this season.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Sep 11 9:58 PM
- Scott Rolen one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Dioner Navarro due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 5 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 11 9:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gaby Sanchez two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jose Tabata. Brock Holt due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 11 9:09 PM
- Brandon Phillips scored on Michael McKenry's throwing error. Mike Leake scored on a wild pitch with one out. None on and Drew Stubbs at the plate.
Pirates 1, Reds 4 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 11 7:56 PM
- Brandon Phillips double to left scored Dioner Navarro with one out. On the play, Mike Leake advances to third. Runners on second and third and Drew Stubbs due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 11 7:54 PM
- Brandon Phillips lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Drew Stubbs due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 11 7:26 PM
- Alex Presley one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 11 7:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 7:13 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21