Ludwick guides Reds over Marlins in extrasSep 17, 2012 - 1:10 AM
After both teams failed to score with a runner in scoring position in the 10th, Cincinnati took advantage of its opportunity in the 11th.
Chris Heisey singled to start the frame before Carlos Zambrano (7-10) issued a walk to Joey Votto. Ludwick then ripped a grounder through the left side of the infield to score Heisey from second for the go-ahead run.
"It's not the same, especially when you don't pitch in a while," Zambrano said of moving from the starting rotation to the bullpen. "It's not an excuse. I should throw more strikes in that situation."
Jonathan Broxton issued a two-out walk in the bottom half, but got John Buck to fly out to the deepest part of the spacious Marlins Park to secure his second save with the Reds.
Logan Ondrusek (4-2) earned the victory after striking out Giancarlo Stanton with runners on first and second to end the 10th.
Ludwick finished with three hits and a pair of RBI, while Dioner Navarro and Didi Gregorius each registered three hits and an RBI for the Reds, who own an 11-game lead atop the NL Central.
"It was a big one for us," Ludwick said. "They gave us all we could handle for three straight days and just to be able to get that one is very important in my opinion."
Gregg Dobbs clubbed a two-run triple and Jose Reyes added an RBI double, but the Marlins fell for the fourth time in their last six games.
The Reds grabbed an early lead in the second after Todd Frazier and Navarro smacked back-to-back base hits before Gregorius plated Frazier with single through the right side of the infield.
Cincinnati tacked on a run in the fourth on Brandon Phillips' RBI groundout, but Miami broke through in the bottom half to tie the game as Stanton and Carlos Lee worked back-to-back two-out walks.
Dobbs then brought both runners home with a line-drive triple into the right- field corner to knot the game at 2-2.
The Reds responded with a two-out run in their next at-bat as Votto and Ludwick started the frame with consecutive singles before Navarro came through with a two-out single into center field to score Votto for a 3-2 edge.
The visitors added to the lead in the sixth when Phillips scored on Ludwick's two-out single to left field, but a Donovan Solano sacrifice fly in the seventh scored Lee, who doubled to start the frame, bringing Miami within 4-3.
The Marlins then tied the game in the eighth after pinch-hitter Austin Kearns started the frame with a single, moved to second on a bunt and scored two batters later when Reyes ripped a two-out double off the base of the wall in right field to knot the game at 4-4.
Cincinnati starter Mat Latos allowed four runs on seven hits and three walks with eight strikeouts over 7 2/3 frames ... Miami starter Ricky Nolasco surrendered three runs on 10 hits over five innings ... Broxton was acquired from the Kansas City Royals on July 31 in exchange for a pair of prospects. He has 25 saves overall this season.
- CINCINNATI: 5
Sep 16 5:27 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to left scored Chris Heisey with none out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Marlins 4 Top 11, 0 OutsSep 16 5:02 PM
- Jose Reyes double to right scored Austin Kearns with two out. Runner on second and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Reds 4, Marlins 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 16 4:06 PM
- John Buck grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Reds 4, Marlins 3 End 7Sep 16 3:44 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to left scored Brandon Phillips with two out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 4, Marlins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 16 3:22 PM
- John Buck grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Ricky Nolasco due up.
Reds 3, Marlins 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 16 2:57 PM
- Greg Dobbs triple to right scored Giancarlo Stanton and Carlos Lee with two out. Runner on third and Donovan Solano due up.
Reds 2, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 16 2:35 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded out third to first scored Dioner Navarro with two out. On the play, Didi Gregorius advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 2, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 16 2:23 PM
- Brandon Phillips struck out swinging to end the inning.
Reds 1, Marlins 0 Mid 2Sep 16 1:40 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21