Aoki helps Brewers beat RedsSep 27, 2012 - 3:37 AM
The race for the final wild card spot in the National League got a little tighter with Milwaukee's win and St. Louis losing to Houston. The Cardinals lead the Brewers and the Dodgers, who also won on Wednesday, by 3 1/2 games. However, both Milwaukee and Los Angeles do have a game in hand on St. Louis.
Ryan Braun hit a two-run home run while Jonathan Lucroy homered, scored twice and had three hits for the Brewers, who had dropped three of four coming into the contest.
"You never know what can happen," said Lucroy. "All we can do is go out and play hard every day and take care of our business. It might not work out, but we have to keep playing hard till the end."
Shaun Marcum (6-4) gave up just one run on four hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over six innings to win for the first time since June 8, a span of seven starts. He spent two months on the disabled list with tightness in his right elbow.
Joey Votto drove in the lone run of the game for the Reds, who had won six of eight. Bronson Arroyo (12-9) was touched for four runs on eight hits over six innings to drop his second straight decision.
"Marcum kept our guys off-balance all night out there," said Reds interim manager Chris Speier. "We just couldn't get anything going offensively against them and they did. They swung the bats real good over there."
Cincinnati fell a game behind Washington for the best record in the majors as the Nationals beat the Phillies on Wednesday.
The Reds struck in the first inning as Zack Cozart beat out an infield single with one out and Votto followed with a double high off the wall in left for a 1-0 lead.
Milwaukee took the lead with a two-out rally in the third. Aoki tied the game with a swing of the bat on his 10th home run of the season. Rickie Weeks then singled and Braun followed with a double. Consecutive singles from Aramis Ramirez and Corey Hart each scored a run for a 3-1 advantage.
Cincinnati left men on first and second in the third then loaded the bases in the fifth, but it was with two outs and Scott Rolen struck out to end the frame.
The Brewers added a run in the sixth. Lucroy hit a ground-rule double to start the inning, moved to third on a Logan Schafer groundout and crossed the plate on Jeff Bianchi's sacrifice fly for a 4-1 lead.
Braun's two-run homer, his NL-leading 41st of the year, in the seventh off Logan Ondrusek made it a 6-1 contest.
Milwaukee plated another run in the eighth when Aoki's double scored Jeff Bianchi, who led off with a walk, and made it an 8-1 game in the ninth on Lucroy's solo homer.
Despite the loss, Cincinnati leads the season series, 8-6 ... The Reds left nine men on base as they went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Milwaukee also stranded nine, but hit 3-for-12 with RISP ... Marcum is 1-1 in four starts against the Reds ... Arroyo fell to 13-10 in 29 games against the Brewers.
- MILWAUKEE: 8
Sep 26 10:15 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 8, Reds 1 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 26 9:57 PM
- Rickie Weeks popped out to first. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 7, Reds 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 26 9:39 PM
- Ryan Braun one-out, two-run Home Run (41) to center scored Norichika Aoki. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 6, Reds 1 Top 7, 1 OutSep 26 9:11 PM
- Shaun Marcum struck out looking to end the inning.
Brewers 4, Reds 1 Mid 6Sep 26 8:56 PM
- Corey Hart single to right scored Ryan Braun with two out. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 26 7:54 PM
- Norichika Aoki two-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 26 7:46 PM
- Joey Votto double to left scored Zack Cozart with one out. Runner on second with one out and Scott Rolen due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 26 7:21 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 7:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21