McCutchen's game winning homer downs RedsSep 30, 2012 - 5:03 AM
After Josh Harrison lined out to center field to start the frame, McCutchen, who was 0-for-4 prior to his final at-bat, smacked a 2-2 fastball off Jonathan Broxton (3-2) into the right-center field seats.
Joel Hanrahan (5-1) worked a scoreless ninth to pick up the win.
Pittsburgh starter Kyle McPherson tossed six scoreless frames. He fanned five, scattered four hits and walked one for the Pirates, who had lost nine of their previous 11 contests.
Mike Leake started the game for Cincinnati and also fired six scoreless innings. He struck out three, surrendered four hits and walked three for the Reds, who are one game behind the Washington Nationals for the best record in the National League.
The Pirates recorded just four hits over the first six frames before registering the game's first run in the seventh.
Clint Barmes began the inning with a single off Jose Arredondo, who then committed a throwing error on a pickoff attempt, which allowed Barmes to scamper to second. Pinch-hitter Brock Holt bunted Barmes over to third before Alex Presley brought home pinch-runner Chase d'Arnaud with a double to left- center field.
Cincinnati, which had just five hits over its first seven frames, tied the game in the eighth.
Pinch-hitter Ryan Ludwick smacked a leadoff double off Jason Grilli and pinch- runner Denis Phipps went to third on Wilson Valdez's bunt. After Zack Cozart struck out and Joey Votto was intentionally walked, Phipps scored on Scott Rolen's bloop single into left-center field.
McCutchen's homer was his 31st of the season ... The Pirates were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left 12 men on base, while Cincinnati finished 1-for-9 with RISP and stranded nine.
- CINCINNATI: 1
Sep 29 10:27 PM
- Scott Rolen single to left scored Denis Phipps with two outs. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 29 9:42 PM
- Alex Presley double to left center scored Chase d'Arnaud with one out. Runner on second and Josh Harrison due up.
Reds 0, Pirates 1 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 29 9:13 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 29 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21