Blue Jays top Indians in extra innings againApr 7, 2012 - 11:16 PM
Thursday's 16-inning affair was won by the Blue Jays and they did it again with a 7-4 win in 12 innings on Saturday courtesy of a two-run double from Rajai Davis.
Edwin Encarnacion led off the 12th with a double off the wall in left off Tony Sipp (0-1) and Brett Lawrie followed with a single. Davis then doubled home both runners and Colby Rasmus and Kelly Johnson each added an RBI single later in the inning for a 7-3 lead.
Francisco Cordero gave up a one-out, RBI single to Travis Hafner in the bottom of the 12th, but Lawrie made a diving stop at third on a hard hit ball by Shelley Duncan to get a force out at second and Casey Kotchman grounded out to second to end the game.
Johnson hit a solo home run and Lawrie went 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored for the Blue Jays, who got seven innings out of starter Brandon Morrow that saw him give up three walks and two unearned runs on one hit. Casey Janssen (1-0) got the win for pitching two perfect innings.
Jasson Kipnis hit a two-run home run and Asdrubal Cabrera added a solo shot for the Indians. Ubaldo Jimenez carried a perfect game into the sixth and a no-hitter into the seventh, but didn't factor in the decision as he gave up two runs on one hit with three strikeouts over seven innings.
The game remained scoreless until the fifth inning when Cleveland took advantage of an error.
With two outs, Kotchman hit a slow dribbler back towards the mound that J.P. Arencibia fielded. His throw to first, though, was wild and Kotchamn reached base. Kipnis then crushed a 3-2 fastball over the wall in right field for a 2-0 lead.
Not only was the no-hit bid broken up in the seventh, the hit also tied the game.
A two-out walk to Colby Rasmus in the sixth ruined the perfect game and Johnson drew a leadoff walk in the seventh. After Jose Bautista flied out, Adam Lind walked. Encarnacion followed with a pop out, but a wild pitch advanced the runners a base. Lawrie then punched a single to center to tie the game.
Johnson gave the Blue Jays the lead in the top of the ninth with a leadoff home run to center, but Cabrera answered in the bottom of the frame when he drilled a high fastball into the right field stands to send the game to extras.
This series will close on Sunday with Joel Carreno pitching for Toronto and Derek Lowe taking the mound for Cleveland...Toronto has won five straight against Cleveland...Jimenez was suspended for five games recently after plunking Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki in the preseason. He appealed the decision, but dropped his appeal after the game.
- TORONTO: 7
Apr 7 4:47 PM
- Shelley Duncan grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. Travis Hafner out at second, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Blue Jays 7, Indians 4 Bot 12, 2 OutsApr 7 4:46 PM
- Kelly Johnson single to right scored Colby Rasmus. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 7, Indians 3 Top 12, 2 OutsApr 7 4:28 PM
- Yunel Escobar grounded out second to first. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 6, Indians 3 Top 12, 2 OutsApr 7 4:26 PM
- Rajai Davis double to center scored Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie. Runner on second with none out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 5, Indians 3 Top 12, 0 OutsApr 7 4:14 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Blue Jays 3, Indians 3 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 7 3:27 PM
- Kelly Johnson lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 3, Indians 2 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 7 3:10 PM
- Brett Lawrie single to center scored Kelly Johnson and Adam Lind. Runner on first with two outs and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Indians 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 7 2:45 PM
- Jason Kipnis two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Casey Kotchman. Jack Hannahan due up.
Blue Jays 0, Indians 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 7 2:19 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 1:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21