Extra innings not required as Indians avoid sweepApr 8, 2012 - 8:26 PM
Lowe (1-0), who was acquired from Atlanta in the offseason, gave up two unearned runs on five hits with one walk and one strikeout. Santana hit a two-run and solo home run in the win for the Indians, who haven't been swept to start a season since 2009.
Joel Carreno (0-1) took the loss in his first Major League start as he gave up four runs on six hits over six innings for the Blue Jays. Kelly Johnson had two hits and scored twice, while Adam Lind added two hits, an RBI and a run scored.
This game was in stark contrast to the first two games of the series. Thursday's contest went 16 innings, an MLB record for an Opening Day contest, while Saturday's contest lasted 12 innings.
Cleveland took the lead in the first at-bat of the second when Santana hit a pitch over the wall in center. Later in the inning, Jack Hannahan singled home Casey Kotchman for a 2-0 lead.
Toronto tied the contest in the top of the fourth. Johnson beat out an infield single to start the inning and Lind later reached base on an error from Hannahan. Edwin Encarnacion followed with a run scoring double and Brett Lawrie's sacrifice fly made it a 2-2 game.
Santana, though, was at it again in the fifth inning. With two outs, Shin-Soo Choo kept the inning alive with a single and Santana followed by drilling a pitch over the right field wall for a 4-2 lead.
Lowe allowed a baserunner in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, but escaped every time without allowing a run.
The Blue Jays, though, did get one back in the eighth off of Joe Smith. With one out, Johnson and Jose Bautista each singled and Lind followed with a single to make it a 4-3 game.
Vinnie Pestano then took the mound and struck out Encarnacion and Lawrie to end the frame.
Chris Perez came on in the ninth and allowed a leadoff single to Eric Thames, but then got Colby Rasmus to fly out. Ben Francisco reached base on an error and, after Yunel Escobar struck out, Johnson walked to load the bases. Perez, though, got Jose Bautista to pop out near the mound for his first save of the season.
Toronto hosts the Red Sox for three games starting on Monday...Cleveland welcomes Chicago for three games beginning on Monday...Toronto hasn't won three straight to start a season since 1996...Lowe improved to 7-9 over 42 appearances (11 starts) against the Blue Jays in his career...Toronto had won five straight against the Indians.
- TORONTO: 3
Apr 8 3:57 PM
- Adam Lind single to right scored Kelly Johnson with one out. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to second. Runners on first and second and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 3, Indians 4 Top 8, 1 OutApr 8 3:16 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (2) to right scored Shin-Soo Choo. Travis Hafner due up.
Blue Jays 2, Indians 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 8 2:28 PM
- Brett Lawrie sacrifice fly out to right scored Adam Lind with two outs. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runner on third and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Indians 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 8 2:07 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion double to left scored Kelly Johnson with one out. On the play, Adam Lind advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 1, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 8 2:05 PM
- Michael Brantley walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Blue Jays 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 8 1:40 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Travis Hafner due up.
Blue Jays 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 8 1:24 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 1:05 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21