Indians score seven in 5th to top MarinersApr 18, 2012 - 6:30 AM
It was 8-8 in the seventh when Travis Hafner stroked a leadoff single and Shelley Duncan followed with a walk off of Charlie Furbush (0-1). After consecutive strike outs and a pitching change, Jason Donald ripped a single to right field as Hafner crossed the plate for the go-ahead run.
The Cleveland bullpen kept the Indians in the game, allowing just three hits over 5 1/3 scoreless innings of relief work, despite a shaky bottom of the ninth from Chris Perez, who loaded the bases before nailing down his third save of the year.
Shin-Soo Choo and Donald tallied two hits and knocked in two runs apiece and Rafael Perez (1-0) pitched a scoreless bottom of the sixth to earn the win for the Indians, who continued their winning ways after sweeping the Royals over the weekend.
Neither pitcher tossed more than four innings as Cleveland's Justin Masterson was shelled for eight runs on seven hits and four walks over 3 2/3 innings and Seattle starter Kevin Millwood surrendered seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits over four innings.
"I thought it was a great comeback, obviously. Masterson struggled with his command and put us in a deep hole, but it's a team effort," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "These guys came out swinging and just never gave up."
Justin Smoak had a career-high four hits while John Jaso smacked a two-run shot and knocked in three runs overall. Ichiro Suzuki also knocked in two for Seattle, which had taken two of three from Oakland coming into the game.
"He's one of the best I've seen in regard to controlling damage, but today he just wasn't able to get through it," Seattle manager Eric Wedge remarked about Millwood. "I thought he was throwing the ball the three previous innings, but he was just up a bit, missing some spots that last inning and just wasn't able to get it done."
Michael Brantley started the game with a single and came around to score on Hafner's single to left, giving the Indians an early 1-0 lead.
Jaso gave the Mariners a 2-1 lead in the third when he lifted a 2-2 sinker into the seats in right.
Seattle struck for six in the fourth, using three singles to load the bases before Brendan Ryan walked to force in a run. After a brief talk at the mound, Masterson drilled Jaso with a slider to score Kyle Seager.
A Chone Figgins' sacrifice fly scored Michael Saunders before Dustin Ackley walked and Suzuki plated two with a single to right field.
Smoak then capped the offensive explosion, ripping a single to right that scored Ackley and gave the Mariners an 8-1 lead.
But Cleveland had an answer in the form of a seven-run top of the fifth.
Jack Hannahan sparked the rally with a leadoff double and Donald followed with a single. Brantley then reached on an error to score Hannahan before Jason Kipnis ripped a single to load the bases.
A brief talk at the mound did nothing to stop the hit parade as Choo plated two with a single to center before Santana cleared the bases with a three-run blast to right field.
After a pitching change, the Indians loaded the bases again, but managed just one more run on a sac fly from Donald to tie the game at 8-8.
The Indians have now homered in each of their first nine games this season, the club's longest streak to start the year since 2006...The Indians announced Tuesday that the club has placed infielder Asdrubal Cabrera on the bereavement list as he deals with the death of one of his grandfathers...Cleveland also signed veteran outfielder Johnny Damon to a minor league contract on Tuesday...Since July 19, 2008 the Indians are 11-2 in Safeco Field.
- CLEVELAND: 9
Apr 18 1:43 AM
- Michael Brantley grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 9, Mariners 8 Mid 7Apr 18 12:45 AM
- Jason Donald sacrifice fly out to center scored Shelley Duncan. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 8, Mariners 8 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 17 11:57 PM
- Carlos Santana none-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Jason Kipnis and Shin-Soo Choo. Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 7, Mariners 8 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 17 11:40 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to center scored Jason Donald and Michael Brantley. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 4, Mariners 8 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 17 11:39 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to left. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second and Jason Donald advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Mariners 8 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 17 11:37 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to right scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 11:25 PM
- Chone Figgins sacrifice fly out to center scored Michael Saunders. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Dustin Ackley due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 11:21 PM
- John Jaso was hit-by-pitch Kyle Seager scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Chone Figgins due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 17 11:19 PM
- Brendan Ryan walked Justin Smoak scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and John Jaso due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 17 11:17 PM
- John Jaso one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Brendan Ryan. Chone Figgins due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 17 10:56 PM
- Travis Hafner single to left scored Michael Brantley with two out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 17 10:22 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 10:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21