Indians hold off A'sApr 21, 2012 - 6:01 AM
Shin-Soo Choo added an RBI single for Cleveland, which improved to 6-1 on its current nine-game road trip.
Ubaldo Jimenez (2-0) allowed two runs on six hits and five walks over six innings to earn the win and Chris Perez tossed a perfect ninth for his fifth save of the season.
Yoenis Cespedes went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Josh Reddick homered for Oakland, which saw its season-high three-game win streak come to an end. Graham Godfrey (0-3) gave up four runs on three hits and five walks over five innings in the loss.
"I just couldn't locate when I needed to," said Godfrey. "When you give them that many opportunities they are going to figure out a way to get some runs across."
Godfrey issued three walks to load the bases with one down in the second. Hannahan made it 1-0 with a sacrifice fly to right before Jason Donald lined out to first to end the inning.
The Indians failed to capitalize after loading the bases with two down in the bottom half, but tied the game in the third courtesy of Reddick's two-out blast to right.
Hannahan struck again in the fourth, scoring Travis Hafner and Shelley Duncan with a two-out double to left. An inning later, Jason Kipnis was hit by a pitch, stole second and scored on Choo's single for a 4-1 Cleveland lead.
Cespedes made it 4-2 in the home fifth, following Reddick's double with an RBI single. Seth Smith then drew a one-out walk, but he was caught stealing second and Jonny Gomes struck out with Cespedes on third to halt the threat.
Choo was thrown out at the plate by Smith to end the top of the seventh and Jemile Weeks led off the home half with a triple off of Tony Sipp. Cliff Pennington followed with a walk and Sipp was relieved after striking out Reddick. Cespedes greeted Joe Smith with a single, scoring Weeks and Gomes walked with two down to load the bases. But Joe Smith maintained the one-run lead by grounding out Kila Ka'aihue to end the inning.
Weeks hit a two-out double in the eighth but Vinnie Pestano retired Pennington before giving way to Perez in the ninth.
Cleveland began its road trip with a three-game sweep of Kansas City before taking two of three from the Mariners...The Athletics began a six-game homestand and will face the White Sox for three games after its series with Cleveland.
- CLEVELAND: 4
Apr 21 1:26 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to right scored Jemile Weeks with one out. On the play, Cliff Pennington advances to second. Runners on first and second with Seth Smith due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 21 12:30 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes singled to left scored Josh Reddick, advances to second on Shelley Duncan's fielding error. Runner on second with one out and Seth Smith due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 20 11:50 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded out second to first. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 20 11:40 PM
- Jack Hannahan doubled to left scored Travis Hafner and Shelley Duncan. Runner on second with two outs and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 3, Athletics 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 20 11:21 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 11:04 PM
- Jack Hannahan sacrifice fly out to right scored Carlos Santana. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 10:33 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 10:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21