Kipnis helps Indians top A'sApr 22, 2012 - 5:39 AM
Kipnis also had an RBI single and scored on a wild pitch, as the Indians improved to 7-1 on the current road trip, which ends Sunday in the finale of this three-game set. This is the first time the Indians have won seven games on a road swing since Sept. of 2007 (7-3).
"This team's rolling right now. We got a lot of confidence going. We're getting used to winning," Kipnis said.
Jeanmar Gomez (1-0) allowed just four hits and a run over 5 1/3 innings. The A's put two men in scoring position in the ninth, but Chris Perez retired pinch-hitter Kila Ka'aihue on a fly ball to center to secure his sixth save of the year.
After the game, Gomez announced he will drop his appeal and begin serving a five-game suspension Sunday. He's scheduled to pitch next Saturday.
Brandon McCarthy (0-3) gave up 10 hits and a pair of runs over seven frames. Yoenis Cespedes drove in the lone Oakland score with a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning.
"We haven't swung the bats particularly well when [McCarthy's] pitching," Athletics second baseman Jemile Weeks said. "We going to try to pick it up when he's out there and do better."
The visitors loaded the bases with one out in the first thanks to base hits from Kipnis and Shin-Soo Choo and a walk to Carlos Santana. Travis Hafner then grounded out back to the pitcher to plate Kipnis.
Seth Smith fouled out to leave a pair of runners in scoring position in the bottom of the first and the A's stranded another runner at third in the second.
McCarthy escaped a bases-loaded jam in the fifth, but Kipnis singled in Jason Donald in the sixth. His two-run triple went off the wall in right-center in the eighth when Josh Reddick misplayed the ball when he ran into the wall.
Cleveland is 7-1 on the road for the first time since 1988...Cleveland was 5-2 last season versus the A's...Oakland was 0-for-7 with men in scoring position, while the Indians were 3-for-13.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Apr 22 12:10 AM
- Brian Fuentes wild pitch scored Jason Kipnis. None on with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo at the plate.
Indians 5, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 11:39 PM
- Jason Kipnis tripled to right center scored Jason Donald and Michael Brantley. Runner on third with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 21 11:37 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes sacrifice fly to center scored Cliff Pennington. None on with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Indians 2, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 21 11:02 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to center scored Jason Donald. Runner on first with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Athletics 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 21 10:51 PM
- Travis Hafner grounded out to pitcher scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second and Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 21 9:19 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 21 9:12 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21