Ross, A's stifle TribeApr 23, 2012 - 2:04 AM
Ross (1-0), who was called up on Tuesday, worked around four hits and five walks and struck out four to secure the victory.
"My whole game is keeping the ball down and sinking it, getting some ground balls and letting the defense work," Ross said. "Even with the five walks, I was able to keep the ball down and get some double plays and work my way out of it."
Seth Smith supported Ross with a two-run homer and Cliff Pennington added a pair of RBI for Oakland, which halted a two-game slide.
Justin Masterson (0-2) gave up four runs on six hits and six walks over five innings in the setback while Travis Hafner recorded the lone RBI.
Cleveland won the first two games of this series and concluded its nine-game road trip with a 7-2 mark.
Ross gave up consecutive two-out doubles to Shin-Soo Choo and Hafner in the first to fall behind 1-0, but the Indians failed to score again.
The A's tied it in the third when Jemile Weeks worked a walk with two down and Pennington followed with an RBI double to right. They took the lead in the fourth thanks to Smith, who belted a homer to right after Kila Ka'aihue led off with a walk.
Ka'aihue scored again the in the fifth, reaching with a two-out single, advancing on Smith's walk and crossing the plate on Kurt Suzuki's base hit for a 4-1 lead. Pennington added an RBI single in the eighth to cap the scoring.
"We had our chances, we had five leadoff walks and still couldn't do much with it," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He made some good pitches and had us hitting into double plays. He had some good sink on his pitches, but we didn't score enough runs to win."
Ross was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento and recorded a no decision in Oakland's 5-3 win against the Angels on Tuesday...The A's went 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position while the Indians went 1-for-6.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Apr 22 6:50 PM
- Cliff Pennington single to short scored Eric Sogard with two out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 22 6:36 PM
- Kurt Suzuki single to right scored Kila Ka`aihue with two out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with Daric Barton due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 22 5:43 PM
- Seth Smith none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Kila Ka`aihue. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 22 5:14 PM
- Cliff Pennington double to right scored Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Josh Reddick due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 22 4:56 PM
- Travis Hafner double to right scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. Runner on second and Jose Lopez due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 22 4:14 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 4:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21