Hafner, Damon help Indians down RangersMay 5, 2012 - 3:51 AM
Jeanmar Gomez (2-1) allowed three runs on eight hits and a walk over seven innings for Cleveland, which got a two-run homer from Shin-Soo Choo and a solo shot from Jack Hannahan.
"He just gave us a great seven innings against that baseball team," Cleveland manager Manny Acta said of Gomez.
The Indians have gone 13-6 over their last 19 games after starting the season 1-4.
David Murphy had an RBI double for the Rangers, who have lost a season-high three straight games. Colby Lewis (2-1) gave up six runs on 10 hits over 6 2/3 innings.
Texas tied the game, 3-3, on Nelson Cruz's RBI single in the sixth inning, but Cleveland went on top for good in the bottom half.
Jason Kipnis led off with a single, stole second and moved to third on Asdrubal Cabrera's base hit before scoring on Hafner's deep fly to left for a 4-3 lead.
Texas placed runners on first and second to begin the seventh, getting a leadoff hit from Mitch Moreland and a bunt single from Alberto Gonzalez. But Gomez induced Ian Kinsler into a 5-4-3 double play, then grounded out Elvis Andrus to end the frame.
Conversely, Cleveland's first two batters of the seventh failed to reach base, but Casey Kotchman drew a walk, Hannahan singled and Damon brought them both home with a triple off the wall in center.
"I felt like Colby had gotten him all day," Texas manager Ron Washington said of leaving his starter in to face Damon. "As it turns out that's one of the two moves I had to make tonight. It didn't work so I'll take the blame for that."
Vinnie Pestano tossed a scoreless eighth for the Indians and Chris Perez recorded his 10th save of the season when Choo made a leaping catch against the right-field wall for the final out of the game.
It was Choo who got Cleveland started as well, following Carlos Santana's single with a homer to center in the second. Kinsler responded with a sac fly in the third but Hannahan led off the home half with a blast to right for a 3-1 lead.
Michael Young, who scored the tying run in the sixth, doubled in the fourth and scored on Murphy's subsequent two-bagger.
Lewis saw his six-game win streak come to an end. He has received three runs of support or fewer in five of six starts this season...Earlier Friday, the Rangers acquired outfielder Ryan Spilborghs from the Indians in exchange for cash considerations. Spilborghs has been assigned to the Rangers' Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express. A non-roster invitee to spring training, the 32-year-old Spilborghs did not play a game for the Indians.
- TEXAS: 3
May 4 9:33 PM
- Johnny Damon triple to center scored Casey Kotchman and Jack Hannahan with two outs. Runner on third and Jason Kipnis due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 9:04 PM
- Travis Hafner sacrifice fly out to center scored Jason Kipnis with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 4 8:44 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to left scored Michael Young with two outs. Runner on first and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 3, Indians 3 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 4 8:32 PM
- David Murphy double to left center scored Michael Young with one out. Runner on second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 2, Indians 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 4 8:00 PM
- Johnny Damon flied out to left. None on with one out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 4 7:49 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly out to right scored Mitch Moreland. None on with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 4 7:41 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Carlos Santana. Michael Brantley due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 4 7:31 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 7:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22