Beltre lifts Rangers over Indians in 11 inningsMay 6, 2012 - 5:19 AM
Mitch Moreland went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Nelson Cruz scored twice for the Rangers, who snapped a three-game slide. Derek Holland pitched 7 1/3 innings and gave up two runs -- one earned -- on five hits with three walks and six strikeouts. Alexi Ogando (1-0) pitched two scoreless innings to get the win.
"Offensively we've been getting our chances lately, we just haven't been able to cash in...Adrian got a huge hit for us," Texas second baseman Ian Kinsler said.
Asdrubal Cabrera went 4-for-5 with an RBI for the Indians, who had a three- game winning streak stopped. Derek Lowe gave up nine hits and two runs with two walks and a strikeout over six innings.
"We worked really hard tonight but unfortuantely we couldn't push that third run across," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "Derek Lowe pitched a good game after struggling early with his command."
In the 11th with Joe Smith (1-1) on the mound, Craig Gentry led off with a walk and, with two outs, Moreland was issued a free pass. Beltre then crushed a fastball to dead center for a three-run lead.
Joe Nathan worked around a leadoff single from Cabrera in the bottom of the inning to pick up his seventh save of the season.
The Rangers went on top in the second inning. Mike Napoli led off with a single and moved to second on a Moreland groundout. A groundout from Alberto Gonzalez moved Napoli to third and Kinsler beat out an infield single to make it a 1-0 game.
In the fourth, Cruz led off with a single and Napoli followed with a basehit. A double off the bat of Moreland made it a 2-0 game, but it could have been worse. Gonzalez hit a grounder to short that Cabrera fielded. Cabrera quickly tagged out Moreland, who was several feet off the bag, and got Gonzalez at first while holding Napoli at third. Kinsler then grounded out to end the frame.
Holland stranded men at second in the third and sixth innings, but the Indians got to him in the eighth.
With one out, Michael Brantley and Jason Kipnis both singled. Mike Adams then took the mound and Cabrera ripped a double down the right-field line to score a run. A passed ball then scored Kipnis to tie the game, but Adams struck out Carlos Santana and got Travis Hafner to groundout.
Texas left eight men on base while Cleveland stranded seven...Texas has won 12 of the last 14 against Cleveland...Yu Darvish will look to stay undefeated on Sunday as he takes the mound for Texas in the rubber match. Ublado Jimenez will toe the rubber for Cleveland on Sunday.
- TEXAS: 5
May 5 10:18 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Adrian Beltre two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to center scored Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Indians 2 Top 11, 2 OutsMay 5 10:05 PM
- Jason Kipnis scored on a Mike Napoli passed ball with one out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Santana at the plate.
Rangers 2, Indians 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 9:19 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to right scored Michael Brantley with one out. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to third. Runners on second and third with Carlos Santana due up.
Rangers 2, Indians 1 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 9:15 PM
- Alberto Gonzalez grounded into a double play, short to first. On the play, Mitch Moreland tagged out between second and third. Runner on third with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 2, Indians 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 5 8:00 PM
- Ian Kinsler infield single to third scored Mike Napoli with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 5 7:29 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 7:05 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22