Lowe blanks Twins as Indians take seriesMay 15, 2012 - 8:51 PM
"It's really a gratifying start [to the season]," said the veteran Lowe. "Coming into the season there's so many questions about, are you done, are you going to retire, blah blah blah, so I worked my tail off, not just to prove people wrong but to get myself back to where I should be."
Despite failing to record a strikeout Lowe (6-1) was able to earn his first shutout since he blanked the Cubs in 2005.
"He had a good [sinker] today," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire.
Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Santana each doubled and hit solo homers, while Asdrubal Cabrera added a solo homer and two RBI for the Tribe, winners of two straight. Casey Kotchman also added an RBI.
Brian Dozier went 3-for-4 with a double and Alexi Casilla also doubled for Minnesota, which has lost three of its last four contests.
Jason Marquis (2-3) was pegged with the loss after surrendering five runs on nine hits over five frames.
A trio of solo homers in the fifth put Cleveland up 5-0. Choo belted a first pitch sinker over the wall in left before Cabrera and Santana roped back-to- back homers to right field. Michael Brantley singled to center after the Santana homer, stole second with two outs, but Johnny Damon was unable to knock him in to end the inning.
Minnesota looked poised to do damage in the seventh after loading the bases with two outs, but Lowe was able to get out of the jam with no harm done.
Dozier reached first on a fielder's choice then moved to second after Chris Parmelee drew a walk. Erik Komatsu beat out a single to shallow center to load the bases for Casilla. Casilla drove a first-pitch cutter to deep right, but the ball died on the warning track and the Twins entered the eighth scoreless.
Cleveland scored first after putting a run on the board in the second. Santana opened the frame with a double then scored three hitters later when Kotchman ripped a single down the third base line.
The Indians tacked on another run in third to go ahead 2-0. Choo hit a leadoff double before scoring when Cabrera singled past a diving Casilla.
The Twins threatened to score in the third after putting runners on first and second with just one out. Casilla roped a double to right-center before Jamey Carroll drew a walk to put runners on first and second with one out. But Lowe was able to get Darin Mastroianni to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Lowe became the first pitcher to throw a shutout without a strikeout since 2002 when Scott Erickson did so for the Baltimore Orioles...The Indians picked up their 12th road win in 2012...The Twins were shutout for the fourth time in 2012...Minnesota opens up a nine-day, eight-game road trip tomorrow in Detroit.
- CLEVELAND: 5
May 15 3:41 PM
- Carlos Santana one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 15 2:27 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 4, Twins 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 15 2:26 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 2:23 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right center scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 15 1:52 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to left scored Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to third. Runners on first and third and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 1:34 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 1:12 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21