Mauer, Plouffe lead Twins past TribeJun 3, 2012 - 4:31 AM
Trevor Plouffe hit a solo homer and two-run single while Ben Revere had a pair of hits and scored twice for the Twins, who have won four of their last five.
P.J. Walters started on the mound, but left with one out in the fifth inning after he gave up four runs on eight hits with three walks and two strikeouts. Brian Duensing (1-2) pitched two scoreless innings for the win.
"Duensing was fantastic in a very tough part of the lineup when he came into the ball game," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said.
Michael Brantley drove in a pair of runs while Jason Kipnis had two hits and scored twice for the Indians, who have lost six of eight.
Josh Tomlin (2-3) was touched for five runs on 10 hits over six innings of work to take the loss.
Minnesota jumped out to 4-0 lead in the first inning. Denard Span, Revere and Mauer led off the game with three straight singles to score a run. After Josh Willingham popped out, Justin Morneau singled home Revere. Ryan Doumit then walked, but Brian Dozier hit a ground out that saw Mauer forced out at home. Plouffe, though, came through with a two-run single.
"I tried to make good pitches, they put good swings on them and hit them. That's the summary of that first inning," Tomlin said.
Cleveland got one back in the first on a run-scoring ground out from Brantley and Asdrubal Cabrera's RBI single in the third made it a 4-2 game.
The Indians continued to chip away at the deficit in the fourth when Lou Marson's ground out plated Johnny Damon and Brantley singled in Kipnis in the fifth to tie the contest.
The tie was shortlived, though, as Plouffe hit a one-out solo homer in the sixth to give the Twins a 5-4 advantage.
Mauer's home run with Revere on base in the seventh extended the lead to 7-4.
After Brantley's single, the Indians managed just one more hit on Shelley Duncan's one-out single in the ninth. Matt Capps retired the next two batters for his 11th save of the season.
Despite the loss, Cleveland has still won 11 of the last 13 games against Minnesota, including three of four this season...Cleveland left seven men on base...Scott Diamond pitches for Minnesota and will be opposed by Justin Masterson in the rubber match on Sunday.
- MINNESOTA: 7
Jun 2 10:14 PM
- Joe Mauer none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Ben Revere. Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 7, Indians 4 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 2 9:30 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 5, Indians 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 2 9:13 PM
- Brian Duensing enters the game for the Twins with runners on first and second and one out.
Twins 4, Indians 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 2 9:05 PM
- Lou Marson ground out short to first scored Johnny Damon with two out. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to third. Runner on third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Twins 4, Indians 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 8:40 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to left scored Jason Kipnis with none out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera out at second, left to second. None on with one out and Jose Lopez due up.
Twins 4, Indians 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 2 8:23 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Shin-Soo Choo with two out. On the play, Jose Lopez out at second Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Casey Kotchman due up.
Twins 4, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 2 7:48 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to center scored Justin Morneau and Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 4, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 2 7:33 PM
- Justin Morneau single to right scored Ben Revere with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 2 7:25 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Denard Span with none out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 2 7:20 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 7:15 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21